Q. Please suggest some advice to reduce my mother's leg pain.

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 25, 2020

My mother is 68 years old. Her weight is 75 kg and height is 165 cm. She has severe right leg pain from behind the knee and around the calf muscle, especially in the nerves. She has varicose veins on her thighs and has had continuous pain for nearly 35 years following her third pregnancy. She is a homemaker and does all her work herself, she feels tired every two hours to the extent where she cannot lift her leg anymore. A half an hour relaxation will give her energy to get back on her legs. She is doing yoga to manage this pain without any medication.

Currently, the nerve pain keeps changing from one place to another and varies randomly. It increases when she has a hot water bath or hot water foot massage and walks as a part of her routine exercise. She also feels like there is a bubble, which keeps moving. Sometimes, she is unable to walk or walk with a help of the stick very slowly. She is applying oil on her leg, but has found no relief.  

She is on Topdip 5 mg for BP, B complex and Neurobion tablets. She had a kidney stone last year and removed it by taking ayurveda medication. Her thyroid and sugar levels are normal, but have vitamin D deficiency. So, she has started taking Vitamin D supplements. She is a vegetarian and will not consume any junk food or sweets. Please suggest some advice to get relief from the pain.

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com

I do understand your concern. It is not possible to make conclusions with limited information, but you can do the following things for her to get pain relief.

• Ask her to elevate her leg while lying down on bed to at least 9 to 12 inches above like using three to four pillows. 
  • Check for vitamin B12 level, folic acid and thyroid level from your nearby laboratory.
  • Although she is already receiving vitamin D supplements, but I feel it can be given 60000 IU per week. If it is in the same range, then continue it  for only two months.
  • I suggest to give her Thiamine and other multivitamins. One of the commonly used one is Benfomet plus (Methylcobalamin). Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and then take the medicine with consent.

Revert back with the report to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|