Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. Please suggest some advice to reduce my mother's leg pain.

Answered by
Dr. Ashok Kumar Choudhary
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 25, 2020

Hi doctor,

My mother is 68 years old. Her weight is 75 kg and height is 165 cm. She has severe right leg pain from behind the knee and around the calf muscle, especially in the nerves. She has varicose veins on her thighs and has had continuous pain for nearly 35 years following her third pregnancy. She is a homemaker and does all her work herself, she feels tired every two hours to the extent where she cannot lift her leg anymore. A half an hour relaxation will give her energy to get back on her legs. She is doing yoga to manage this pain without any medication.

Currently, the nerve pain keeps changing from one place to another and varies randomly. It increases when she has a hot water bath or hot water foot massage and walks as a part of her routine exercise. She also feels like there is a bubble, which keeps moving. Sometimes, she is unable to walk or walk with a help of the stick very slowly. She is applying oil on her leg, but has found no relief.  

She is on Topdip 5 mg for BP, B complex and Neurobion tablets. She had a kidney stone last year and removed it by taking ayurveda medication. Her thyroid and sugar levels are normal, but have vitamin D deficiency. So, she has started taking Vitamin D supplements. She is a vegetarian and will not consume any junk food or sweets. Please suggest some advice to get relief from the pain.

Dr. Ashok Kumar Choudhary

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology


Welcome to

I do understand your concern. It is not possible to make conclusions with limited information, but you can do the following things for her to get pain relief.

  • Ask her to elevate her leg while lying down on bed to at least 9 to 12 inches above like using three to four pillows. 
  • Check for vitamin B12 level, folic acid and thyroid level from your nearby laboratory.
  • Although she is already receiving vitamin D supplements, but I feel it can be given 60000 IU per week. If it is in the same range, then continue it  for only two months.
  • I suggest to give her Thiamine and other multivitamins. One of the commonly used one is Benfomet plus (Methylcobalamin). Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and then take the medicine with consent.

Revert back with the report to a neurologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Grafted unhealing leg wound opened up after 12 years. Is it varicose veins?
I feel lethargic and sleepy after lunch. Will taking multivitamins help?
Is it fine to take Ovares Plus to conceive?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Can vitamin D3 deficiency cause pain in different parts of my body?

Query: Hi, I am a 41 year old male weighing 79 kg. I have vitamin D3 deficiency for the past two years and for which I had Vitamin D3 tablets for three months. Since one year I have pain in my arms, fingers and many parts of the body. Please go through my attached test reports and advice some treatme...  Read Full »

Will varicose veins cause any complications during endoscopy?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been recently diagnosed with varicose veins in my left leg. I also have multiple heart problems which are right bundle branch block, bicuspid aortic valve, high blood pressure, and patent foramen ovale. I also have Barrett's esophagus and this week, I am going in for an endosco...  Read Full »

What vitamin deficiency causes muscle twitching?

Query: Hi doctor, For about 10 days, I have muscle twitching in my calf, thighs and also in my eyes. I am worried about it. I got my blood test done. It showed that I have a severe vitamin B12 and vitamin D deficiency. My vitamin B12 was around 50 ng/L. Can these deficiencies be the cause for having muscl...  Read Full »

Also Read

Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?
Having celiac fromnlast 10 year dignosis recently ayear ago since then i am gluten free still cant absorb food feeling w...  Read more»
My head is shivering from 20 days, and it feels like head trauma. What is the cause?
Hello sir, My head is shivering like anything , feeling like trauma is head. And its start anytime in a day and when s...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Neurologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.