Q. I have a lesion on my left leg from the past 15 years. What can it be?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula
This is a premium question & answer published on May 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 11, 2021

I have a lesion on my left leg from the past 15 years. I have never shown it to a doctor. I am attaching a picture of the lesion. Can you please tell me what this might be? Thank you.

#

I have seen the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Is the lesion painful? Is it increasing in size?
  • This appears more like a benign appendageal tumor.

I can narrow the diagnosis with the help of further information.

Revert with more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Thank you for the quick reply. No, I do not have any pain in the area. But, I did have issues with ingrown pubic hairs, and the lesions developed soon after those ingrown hair issues started. Can they be related? I used to have pain in the knee on the same leg until I got it checked last year, and the doctor said that everything is fine. The pain stopped after that, maybe a placebo effect. Lately, I feel warm blood running and sometimes like the veins are vibrating, but all only in the left leg. No, this has not grown, it always looks the same. What is the procedure in case it is a tumor? Is it dangerous?

#

• From your history and clinical image, the differential diagnosis would include dermatofibroma or Leiomyoma.
  • These are benign swellings of either the fibers in the skin or the hair of the skin. They are commonly encountered soft tissue swellings. They do not have any malignant potential and do not lead to any complications either.
  • You can confirm the diagnosis by going for a skin biopsy from the lesion. The treatment will include removal, either by excision or electrosurgery. They can be left unattended too if they are not a worry.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|