Q. Though I had HPV vaccine, I am getting warts. Why?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula
Published on Dec 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have a viral wart on my forehead. Is it caused by HPV? In my teenage, I had warts on my thumb. Even, my doctor gave me vaccine for HPV. Is that worth or useless?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

Your clinical image (attachment removed to protect patient identity) is confirmative for a verruca plana, which is a plane viral wart.

All warts are caused by human papilloma virus (HPV); however the strains causing it are different. On the face, it is usually due to HPV 3 and 10.

The vaccines available for HPV are mainly to cover for genital warts caused by HPV 16, 18, 31 and 33. These vaccines do not protect you against the normal skin warts as they are caused by totally different strains of HPV.

Taking a vaccine can only protect you against the four strains causing warts on your genitalia.

I would advise to go for electrosurgical removal of your wart as it is safe and effective.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Will the procedure remove entire HPV from my body? Will I face any recurrence?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

#

This is a destructive procedure where in the warts are actually burnt using very low frequency of electrical energy to remove the virus totally from the body.

It no longer stays once the procedure has been done correctly. Moreover, cosmetically there should not be any scarring too when done appropriately.

You need not worry about the virus staying back after electrosurgery.

I have been also diagnosed with HSV 1 IgG positive; however, the IgM was negative. And, my doctor gave me Acyclovir 800 mg for six weeks. I never had herpes in my life, but can HSV 1 cause herpes?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

#

HSV 1 IgG will remain positive once infected. Hence, the treatment cannot be based on its positivity.

• IgM positive suggests acute infection, which needs to be treated.
  • Herpes virus usually remains latent and can manifest in conditions of stress and lowered immunity. However, you need not worry as there are effective treatment options.
  • You need not take Acyclovir as you have never had any clinical manifestations and as IgM is negative.

For further doubts consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Sir, when I was first tested for HSV 1 my IGG was equivocal however after a month it became positive. What does that mean? Could you please explain me...

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

#

Hi Himanshi,

It means that u had been infected very long back, probably in ur childhood, it wasn't detected in d first test but got picked up in d second test.

There is no need to fear abt it and no treatment required as of now as there are no symptoms nor r u immunocompromised.

Can HPV in sexually active individual cause throat cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I do not show any signs or symptoms. Instead, I just want accurate information on the subject of HPV in a sexually active individual. I would like to know its role in throat cancer. Yes, I know it can cause it, but I would like to know more regarding numbers. Is it rare? What percent...  Read Full »

What Should I Do For Facial Warts?

Query: Hi doctor, I am getting facial warts again and again at the same place. I go for swimming every day. Is it because of that? I have undergone laser treatment twice and it went away with it. Now, again I have the same problem. What should I do? Is there anything that I can apply as I do not want to ...  Read Full »

Is this brown spot I developed, a wart or a symptom of HPV?

Query: Hello doctor, A few months ago, a doctor told me that I had a genital wart. It looked like a flat mole to me. Eventually, it was removed. I want to know if this brown spot I developed recently is also a wart or a symptom of HPV.  Read Full »