Q. Can certain foods affect the absorption of Synthroid?

Hello doctor,

I have been taking 50 mcg of Synthroid for many years. Today my doctor says my numbers got lower and she wants to increase my level of Synthroid a little. She asked if I take any calcium supplements but I do not. However, I read about things that could affect absorption of Synthroid like dairy, walnuts, and orange juice. All these things, I eat daily for breakfast at least 30 minutes after taking Synthroid. The milk is Lactaid free with 50 % more calcium than milk added. Am I eating the foods correctly with the Synthroid or could they be causing my numbers to change? My doctor is not available until the next week.

#

I went through your post.

• Foods such as cabbage and cauliflower have been seen to contain anti-thyroid properties and these are to be avoided totally if one has hypothyroidism. The foods which you have mentioned do inhibit absorption of thyroid if taken simultaneously. That is the reason why it is to be taken on fasting and with a minimum gap of 30 to 40 minutes before food.
  • Your TSH has gone up. That means you need to increase the intake of dairy products. That is important when one is on this medicine because one of the side effects is osteoporosis.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.

#

• Thanks for the appreciation.

|