Q. Do white spots and stains on genitals indicate lichen planus?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy
Published on Apr 17, 2018

Is this lichen planus? I also have white spots and stains on my genitals and inside my mouth. I have attached pictures for your reference. I had alopecia areata in the past.

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatology Venereology
#

I have gone through the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Yes, it is lichen planus.

There will be itchy red to violaceous small bumps over the skin and on the mucosal surfaces like mouth and penis.

It will have a whitish lacy pattern. It affects the mouth, genitals, inner aspect of wrists, forearm, outer aspect of legs, nails, sometimes palms and soles as well.

Do not scratch. If you scratch you will get new bumps along the line of scratch. This is called Koebnerization.

It is an idiopathic condition and the exact cause of this is not known.

This is mostly triggered by infections, certain medicines, chemicals, and dental amalgam made of mercury.

You need treatment in the form of creams and oral tablets which require blood work before prescribing oral medicines. Kindly meet your dermatologist for your complete physical examination to access the extent of involvement.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

I get red cysts on my face. Is it acne or rosacea?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25 year old male. I am 6'1" tall and I weigh 170 pounds. Often, I get red cysts of some sort on my face beneath the skin that take a while to heal. I have oily skin, and get whiteheads as well. I have fluid-filled boil-like lesions on my face. I have been to a few dermatologist...  Read Full »

Palmoplantar Keratoderma - Causes and Treatment

Article Overview: Palmoplantar keratoderma is an autosomal recessive disorder, which results in abnormal thickening of the skin on the palms and soles. read the article to know more. Read Article

What is Palmoplantar Keratoderma? Palmoplantar keratoderma is a commonly encountered problem in day to day practice. This disease presents as a distressing thickened skin with fissured pattern, intermingled with recurrent eczema like flare up. What Causes Palmoplantar Keratoderma? The causes coul...  Read Article

Top skin of penis is not retracting and gets swollen with white discharge. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, The top skin of my penis is not coming back while masturbation or sex. It is not fully closed from the top but still, it is painful to push it back. If I try it forcefully then after some hours, it gets swollen from the top and some white hard substance comes from inside.  Read Full »