Q. I have a patch on the inner side of my cheek. When will it heal?

Dr. Shamaz Mohamed
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 18, 2021

I am a 30 year old male, and I have a patch on the inner side of my cheek from the past two weeks. It might be caused due to cheek bite, as I have a tendency to bite my cheek while eating. I have no pain and bleeding. I consulted a local dentist, and he said it does not look abnormal and has prescribed medicines. I have a history of smoking for eight years, and I gave it up two years back, I need your valuable advice on how can this patch be healed. I will attach the screenshot of the patch inside my mouth. Is it oral cancer? The medicines prescribed are SM fibro and Kenacort gel, and I have not used these medicines regularly. Thanks.

#

I have gone through the snapshot of the patch you have sent me (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I have few questions before I diagnose the same.

1. Do you have any burning sensation in that region of cheek while having food or just like that?
  2. Do you have limited mouth opening? How much can you open your mouth? You should at least be able to put three fingers vertically in your mouth to be normal.
  • I suggest you stop the above medication as the lesion is lichen planus, and it is autoimmune in nature, and until you have a burning sensation, you need not worry. You should stop getting stressed. Stop tobacco in any form.
  • I suggest applying Tess buccal paste (Triamcinolone acetonide), which is an oral cream, thrice daily on the lesion for one month. Do not eat or drink for half an hour after application of this paste. I suggest multivitamin tablet called Renerve 24 for two months. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent.
  • However, the condition may become dull in nature, and it may not heal completely. It is harmless, and it can recur if your stress level becomes high.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Thank you very much for your quick reply. No, I do not have any burning sensation while having food. And my mouth opening is normal. Please advice.

#

That is great news for now.

• Hence, this is an oral lichen planus and nothing to worry. Just continue with my medications, after consulting your doctor. It is an autoimmune-related lesion. It is usually seen when stress is high.
  • Do, de-stress yourself, and this lesion is usually harmless. However, it may not heal completely and may recur when stress levels go high. Just be careful if you are experiencing a burning sensation or any other changes, then immediately contact your doctor. But it is very unlikely.

For further queries consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|