Q. What is the chance of osteoarthritis in hands being erosive?

Dr. Ismail Kabakus
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 20, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 31, 2020

I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both hands. One doctor suggested erosions in the left hand while another read that the right hand did not see evidence of that. I was wondering what your opinion is, do you agree with osteoarthritis diagnosis and if so is there evidence of erosions? All blood were negative for any autoimmune causes, ANA, RF, ESR, CRP, etc.

#

Osteoarthritis is not an autoimmune disorder, so autoimmune markers are expected to be negative. In an osteoarthritic joint, as cartilage is irreversibly destroyed and bone abnormalities develop, movement becomes painful and more difficult.

In my opinion, regarding left-hand x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I agree there is interphalangeal joint (distal more pronounced) narrowing and sclerosis.

Osteoarthritis.

Anti-inflammatory and pain medication such as Acetaminophen and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, topical analgesics. Injections of Cortisone to decrease inflammation and physical occupational therapy, self-management strategies.

|