Q. How long will it take to get cured of lichen planus?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 13, 2015 and last reviewed on: Feb 21, 2019

I am suffering from acute eruptive lichen planus. I consulted a doctor and had some medicines. But still the marks are there and itching too. I am applying Lobate cream. Even now I can see new eruptions especially in my legs which are red in color and itchy. Please suggest some good medicine

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

Lichen planus is a chronic and self-limiting disease. It has been seen that skin lesions subside within 9-12 months in about 50 percent of the cases.

Since you are still developing fresh lesions you will have to take a course of tablet Prednisolone 20 mg daily for 6 weeks which can be reduced gradually.

You seem to have severe itching which is not responding much to Levocetirizine. I would recommend you take tablet Hydroxyzine 25 mg twice daily till the itchy subsides.

Along with this apply Clobetasol propionate on the itchy areas. But if large surface area is involved, dilute it in a moisturizing lotion in the ratio of 1:4. This will surely help you.

1. Immune dysfunction.
2. Genetic causes.
3. Dental amalgam.
4. Stress.
5. Anxiety.
6. Depression.

Lichenoid drug eruption.

Lichen planus.

Reduce stress and anxiety.

| 

I had the medicines you suggested and I am applying the cream till date. But, there is no difference. It is still the same. The other which are cured still have some marks. Please suggest something effective to cure the marks. I am sending you the current image. Please check. Thank you.

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have reviewed the attached photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

In the first two pictures, I can see dark-colored pigmented areas. While in the third one, I can appreciate a thick hyperpigmented plaque.

I had already told you that pigmentation will take up to one year to resolve in 50 percent of the individuals and a little longer in rest of the individuals.

1. For only pigmented areas, apply Melalite-XL cream (combination of Tretinoin, Hydroquinone, and Mometasone) at bedtime.
  2. Continue this for five to six weeks and revert. You will notice a lightening of the pigmentation.
  3. For the thick lesions go for intralesional Triamcinolone acetonide injections 40 mg/mL every three weeks. Three to four injections will be required to resolve it.

|