Q. My son has diarrhea after having certain types of meals. Why?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Hope you are doing fine. May I come back to you with the following query? It relates to my son who consulted with a medical doctor in our place over here with a diarrheal syndrome. He suffers from diarrhea after having certain types of meals, as also when he drinks a glass of wine or beer. Attached to this message, you will find his recent lab test results. His liver values seem to be disturbed. My question is what is the analysis and diagnosis on the grounds of these results? What to do next? Many thanks to you for sharing your valued medical expertise and advice. Best wishes to you.

#

I read your query and can understand you are worried about your son's health.

• I have gone through your son's labs (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and found some important things there regarding his liver and lipid profile. He is having a bad lipid profile. It is bad in the sense that, he has to keep an eye on this issue and keep following up with his primary care physician.
  • His bad cholesterol (LDL) is high. Good cholesterol (HDL) is low. The total cholesterol level is also high and needs attention. All of this means it is bad for the heart and blood vessels.
  • The liver is also possibly having some issues with the lipid maintenance. His liver enzymes are also raised and all this is adding up to cause his symptoms.
  • Diarrhea related to intake of food and alcohol may be due to liver issues. And this warrants a visit to a gastroenterologist or a hepatologist for proper evaluation and management. According to me, this is the next best step for him. He will be able to do a battery of tests on him including but not limited to, hepatitis screening for A, B, C, D, and E, ultrasound of liver and if needed a biopsy of the liver.
  • His sodium levels are also high meaning simply that he has a fluid and electrolyte imbalance. It is due to prolonged diarrhea. Diarrhea causes loss of vital liquids and salts. He needs Pedialyte (oral electrolyte solution) to replenish body fluids. It is easily available from any pharmacy.
  • He needs to avoid the known allergens, meaning, foods that cause immediate diarrhea. If taking beer causes an issue, it is also something he needs to think about. It is damaging his liver tissues further.

Hope it helps. If you need further assistance, please feel free to ask me. I will be happy to assist.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Thank you for your detailed answer and guidance. My son went back to the lab to have a set of blood tests undertaken. I will come back to you when we receive the results.

#

• I really appreciate your kind words and hope your son is doing well. Please feel free to upload the results when you get his labs. I would be more than happy to review and discuss the results with you.

Good day and regards.

For further queries consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Hello doctor,Thank you for your offer to have a look at the reports. We received them today. Is there something more that can be said about the interpretation of the results, infection, paracetamol use after headaches, and degenerative diseases? And, what else should be done to get a clearer picture of the liver issue?

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com.I can understand your worry about your son's health. I have reviewed the labs. Thanks for putting up the effort to upload the reports to assist me in this case.

• Well, his liver profile is a little better than before, but still out of the range. In this case, it is best is to keep him away from alcohol as this can only add up to the worries by directly damaging the liver cells. We cannot say that the previous liver injury is caused solely by alcohol but this may have contributed to some extent. The avoidance of the foods that cause him to feel sick will help. If alcohol is the sole reason for liver injury, the test results would have a different pattern. Now, we can prevent further injury to the liver by avoidance of the known causes. This will allow the cells to heal up quickly and get better. He is young and his immune system will hopefully combat the disease process.
  • His kidneys are doing a perfect job. There is no issue with the kidneys based on their performance.
  • Your son has no viral infection from hepatitis B and C viruses. His immune system has the best possible capability to fight against hepatitis B. I hope he is already vaccinated against Hepatitis B. His physician had not felt a need to go for hepatitis A and E screening and this choice varies based on the area where the patient lives. If there is a prevalence of a disease, the physicians go for screening in patients more frequently. The liver biopsy is also something his hepatologist can decide about.
  • You may ask what can be the next best step. To get a clearer picture of the liver issue, we have to wait and watch based on the serial liver enzyme studies. Periodic consultation with a hepatologist will be helpful in his regards. Certain medications also lead to liver injury and the result is a raised liver enzyme studies. In such cases, the numbers go back to normal as the liver cells heal up with time.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask anytime. I would be more than happy to assist you.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|