Q. My father is talking irrelevantly after being admitted to the ICU. What can be done?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

My father had a chronic liver problem. Last week, he began to puke blood. At once, he was admitted to an ICU of a private hospital. The endoscopy was done and the doctor prescribed him medicines for binding the areas in the food pipe where the bleeding occurred. That was done. The blood puke stopped. The next day he was shifted to the general ward. Then, his tummy began to grow. The doctor said that water is getting accumulated in the bowel as his liver is not working properly. He looked fine and we had a long conversation. The next day, he had a breathing problem and he was again shifted to the ICU. The doctor said that he has pneumonia in one of his lungs. He was prescribed an antibiotic which I accepted. Now, he has red patches on the skin of his lower abdomen and legs that look like burns. He is not talking properly and moreover, he is talking irrelevantly. The doctor said that his situation is critical. What has happened? Can he be cured? What can I do?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Medical Gastroenterology Paediatrics
#

• It is decompensated liver disease. This condition has a very bad prognosis if it is not treated well. He needs liver transplantation. But, the things should be stabilized with an adequate dose of antibiotics and diuretics.
  • He is talking incoherently because toxins have accumulated in the body causing adverse effects on the brain. He needs anti-ammonia measures to control this situation.

Take care.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|