Q. Why are my liver enzymes raised?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 19, 2019

Today I took blood test and found out that triglycerides, aspartate transaminase and alanine aminotransferase are high. One week back, I had taken Liv.52 DS, triphala and bael. Shall I continue them? Or should take any other medicine? I have attached my medical reports. Kindly check them. Thank you.

#

According to your reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity), your triglyceride levels are absolutely normal.

• Most common causes of such liver derangements are alcohol, viral hepatitis, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and drugs. So, we should evaluate the other causes and if no other cause is found then you need to discuss with your doctor about stopping this drug.
  • I would advise you to get following investigations done:
  1. HBsAg (hepatitis B surface antigen) for hepatitis B.
  2. Anti-HCV (hepatitis C virus) antibody for hepatitis C.
  3. Ultrasound abdomen.
  • A lot many times, the liver dysfunction is due to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). If you have any evidence of fatty liver in ultrasound and your other tests are negative then this rise in liver enzyme would be attributed to NAFLD.
  • For this you need to reduce your weight, reduce fat in your diet and if required your doctor may prescribe you Ursodeoxycholic acid (Urdox) for the same. Make sure that you do not take any painkillers without your doctor's advice. Stay healthy.

Revert back after the investigations to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|