Liver Fibrosis

Kindly help me interpret my liver USG report.

Query: Hello doctor, Four months before, I was diagnosed with fatty liver, slightly elevated fasting sugar and the level of total cholesterol. My current medications are tablet Viboliv 500 daily two times in a restricted diet and Nexpro RD. I had consumed spicy foods rarely. In the last four months, I l...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The fatty liver disease is also known as NASH (nonalcoholic steatohepatitis), which may progress to NAFLD that is nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. The real issue here is to know if you are developing fibrosis or cirrhosis from it. And that is whether you are compens...  Read Full »

Is the damage caused to the liver in autoimmune hepatitis reversible?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old. Two years back, I found that I have autoimmune hepatitis. At that time they did Fibroscan, in that kPa is 14.5 (F4). Last one year I took medicines (steroids) and I stopped. Now it again came back and doctors did a biopsy, in that it is showing: Portal and lobular he...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. In autoimmune hepatitis, it is possible to decrease the fibrosis. Or other possibility may be that, initial fibroscan was done in acute inflammatory state hence it may be falsely high. We need to compare it with the liver enzymes at that point of time. Autoimmune diseas...  Read Full »

How can stage 4 liver fibrosis be managed?

Query: Hello doctor, Two years back, after a routine blood test I was diagnosed with fatty liver due to raised liver enzymes ALT 53 ALP 66 and GGT188. I later underwent a liver scan and the conclusion was Child A Cirrhosis-possibly secondary to NASH. Advised to lose weight with no medication prescribed. Y...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have investigated by fibroscan report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The 19 kpa is suggestive of grade 4 fibrosis in liver. The fibrosis can from due to chronic inflammation. The NASH is form of hepatitis due to overweight. So, fibrosis can develo...  Read Full »

Will abdominal ultrasound show fibrosis of the liver?

Query: Hello doctor, I had problems like gas, diahhrea, and abdominal pain. I had an ultrasound of abdomen and diagnosed with fatty liver. Will this ultrasound show fibrosis of the liver?  Read Full »

Dr. Sultan Zeb Khan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ultrasound abdomen can only tell about the presence of fat. For fibrosis and quantification of fat, another imaging modality is used called Fibroscan. It is similar to ultrasound. For confirmation of fibrosis, sometimes a biopsy of the liver is needed, but it is an i...  Read Full »

A 65 year old has stage 2 liver fibrosis. Can liver fibrosis be reversed?

Query: Hello doctor,The patient is 65 years old. Doctors have concluded liver fibrosis stage 2. In fibro scan, the lymphocytes are 95 %, amylase is 20 U/L, monocytes and macrophages is 5 %. The fluid is hazy in appearance. Can liver fibrosis be reversed?   Read Full »

Dr. Jagdish Singh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Interpretation of reports. It is F4 fibrosis, not F2. Ascites. No SBP (spontaneous bacterial peritonitis). Portal Hypertension. Chronic liver disease. With this advanced fibrosis, it could not be reversed back.  Read Full »