Q. Will losing weight help in treating stage 4 liver fibrosis?

Answered by
Dr. Parth R Goswami
and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 28, 2019

Hello doctor,

Two years back, after a routine blood test I was diagnosed with fatty liver due to raised liver enzymes ALT 53 ALP 66 and GGT188. I later underwent a liver scan and the conclusion was Child A Cirrhosis-possibly secondary to NASH. Advised to lose weight with no medication prescribed. Yesterday, I underwent a FibroTouch scan and result showed liver stiffness of 19.9 kPa and UAP(dB/m) of 279. Meanwhile, for the past one year I have been taking daily supplements of Milk Thistle, Gluthathione and lately Magnesium Bisglycinate, (for cramps and muscle weakness), and Vitamin E. I was also once told that I may have high inflammation due to autoimmune-related problem possibly due to a weak gut (leaky gut). All not really validated through any test.

Apart from deciding to go aggressive with my weight loss initiative and eating more plant based food, I am at a loss as to what to do to reverse the stage 4 fibrosis from worsening. I am going plant based because of the testimonies of those who adopted the diet lifestyle and had a change for the better in their conditions. My family is worried that I may not have the chance to live long. I am almost 62 now. What do you advice that I should do to recover from this?

Dr. Parth R Goswami

Hematology Pathology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

You have investigated by fibroscan report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The 19 kpa is suggestive of grade 4 fibrosis in liver. The fibrosis can from due to chronic inflammation. The NASH is form of hepatitis due to overweight. So, fibrosis can develop in NASH as well and so liver can be more stiff. However, your high kpa and UAP are suggestive of early cirrhosis change. So, you need to lose weight first.

The Ursodeoxycholic acid can be prescribed for your condition. You need to be monitored regularly by gastroenterologist. No further aggressive treatment needed just now. I suggest you consult gastroenterologist for detailed evaluation and do regular follow up.

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Liver Cirrhosis - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis and Treatment

Article Overview: Irreversible scar formation in the liver is called liver cirrhosis. Read about its causes, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment options. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan
Medical Gastroenterologist

What Is Liver Cirrhosis? Liver cirrhosis is the late stage of liver fibrosis, which is the scarring of the liver. It can result from many liver diseases like chronic alcoholism and hepatitis. The liver gets injured by disease or regular large volume alcohol consumption, and scar tissue is formed du...  Read Article

How to reduce weight through yoga?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old obese boy. My weight is 110 kg and I feel myself unfit. I want to start practicing yoga for weight loss. But, I do not know anything about yoga. I want to know, how to meditate and relax our body and mind?  Read Full »

Can hepatitis C be transferred if the blood is in a dried state?

Query: Hello doctor, Can hepatitis C be transferred if the blood is in a dried state? For example, it dried on a surface and you touch it with another dry object or with dry hands. I understand if you wet the dry blood to clean it up it can transfer but I am talking in a strictly dry state. I was told it ...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Hematologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.