Q. Can fibrosis of the liver be seen in abdominal ultrasound?

Dr. Sultan Zeb Khan
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 30, 2019

I had problems like gas, diahhrea, and abdominal pain. I had an ultrasound of abdomen and diagnosed with fatty liver. Will this ultrasound show fibrosis of the liver?

Dr. Sultan Zeb Khan

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Ultrasound abdomen can only tell about the presence of fat. For fibrosis and quantification of fat, another imaging modality is used called Fibroscan. It is similar to ultrasound. For confirmation of fibrosis, sometimes a biopsy of the liver is needed, but it is an invasive procedure, so we mostly rely on Fibroscan. For pain abdomen gas you can use the following medicines,

1 Capsule Esomeprazole 40 mg once daily before breakfast for four to eight weeks.

2. Tablet Mebeverine 135 mg twice a day before meals for four weeks.

3. Tablet Rifaximin 550 mg twice a day before meals for two weeks.

Do you think I have fibrosis if my ALT is 31 and AST is 20? What is your opinion on this, but what do you think? I have had normal liver enzymes over the past 10 years.

Dr. Sultan Zeb Khan

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Keeping in view the ALT (alanine aminotransferase), and AST (aspartate aminotransferase) values I do not see a thing you have got liver fibrosis. So you should worry. Avoid fatty, oily food, and sweets. Do regular exercises.

I was so worried. I could not wait for a call from my gastroenterologist. Thank you for your response.

Liver Cirrhosis - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatment

Article Overview: Irreversible scar formation in the liver is called liver cirrhosis. Read about its causes, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment options. Read Article

Dr. K Sneha

What Is Liver Cirrhosis? Liver cirrhosis is the late stage of liver fibrosis, which is the scarring of the liver. It can result from many liver diseases like chronic alcoholism and hepatitis. The liver gets injured by disease or regular large volume alcohol consumption, and scar tissue is formed du...  Read Article

After sexual contact, can a person have burning sensation while urinating?

Query: Hello doctor, I have burning sensation while urinating and a frequent urge to urinate. Can it be due to sexual contact? I am a 22 year old male.  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivekanandan G
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. These symptoms are classical of urinary tract infection, cystitis, prostatitis or urethritis. Yes, they can be acquired by sexual contact. Please get a urine culture and sensitivity done along with ultrasound abdomen, because stones in lower ureter can cause these...  Read Full