Q. Can fibrosis of the liver be seen in abdominal ultrasound?

Dr. Sultan Zeb Khan

I had problems like gas, diahhrea, and abdominal pain. I had an ultrasound of abdomen and diagnosed with fatty liver. Will this ultrasound show fibrosis of the liver?

#

Ultrasound abdomen can only tell about the presence of fat. For fibrosis and quantification of fat, another imaging modality is used called Fibroscan. It is similar to ultrasound. For confirmation of fibrosis, sometimes a biopsy of the liver is needed, but it is an invasive procedure, so we mostly rely on Fibroscan. For pain abdomen gas you can use the following medicines,

1 Capsule Esomeprazole 40 mg once daily before breakfast for four to eight weeks.

2. Tablet Mebeverine 135 mg twice a day before meals for four weeks.

3. Tablet Rifaximin 550 mg twice a day before meals for two weeks.

Do you think I have fibrosis if my ALT is 31 and AST is 20? What is your opinion on this, but what do you think? I have had normal liver enzymes over the past 10 years.

#

Keeping in view the ALT (alanine aminotransferase), and AST (aspartate aminotransferase) values I do not see a thing you have got liver fibrosis. So you should worry. Avoid fatty, oily food, and sweets. Do regular exercises.

I was so worried. I could not wait for a call from my gastroenterologist. Thank you for your response.

#

You are always welcomed. Take care.

|