Q. Will stage 4 of fibrosis reveal a serious stage of liver disease?

Dr. Mian Shah Yousaf
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

Please explain these results. I have a median ARFI of 2.17 m/sec, IQR of 0.28, and IQR median of 0.13, and METAVIR at stage 4.

#

It is basically a fibroscan result of a liver and it measures the severity of stiffness in the liver caused by a particular disease. The result shows F4 fibrosis and it is an advanced stage of stiffness. If it is not controlled properly, then it will lead to cirrhosis and liver failure. But it depends on the cause and other blood tests. Kindly send me the blood reports and I will help you to provide my feedback.

I have attached the blood report. Does the F4 stage reveal for the entire liver? Do I need to worry about life expectancy?

#

Yes, the F4 stage reveals for the entire liver. You need to modify your lifestyle and it will help to improve your liver status. But if you do not follow it, then you should worry about life expectancy. Kindly reduce your weight and stop drinking alcohol.

I am trying to stop drinking alcohol and to reduce my weight. My doctor told me that these results does not indicate serious liver disease and I have two conflicting opinions. I am taking medicines as prescribed and what else can cause this problem. Please suggest.

#

F4 fibrosis indicates serious liver disease and it is the most advanced form of fibrosis. But if you are controlling to drink alcohol and reducing your weight, then it can revert back with time. The most common cause is drinking alcohol and fatty liver due to overweight and chronic hepatitis B and C. A hepatologist will never take F4 fibrosis lightly and will never ignore it.

Can I have this in a short period of time?

#

I do not think that this injury occurred in the last four or five months. It has occurred over a long time. Sometimes, blood tests are not much sensitive to pick it and you have done ARFI (acoustic radiation force impulse) which is very sensitive to pick fibrosis.

| 

What does coarse echotexture of the liver mean?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an ultrasound of my abdomen yesterday and got the results today. My ALP is 155 and AST and ALT is within the normal range. I am not taking any medication at the moment, but I would like help with understanding what this means 'liver parenchyma has increased and coarse acoustic ...  Read Full »

I have high cholesterol with palmar erythema. Does it indicate liver damage?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with palmer erythema last year. I am 28 years old, however, I started drinking moderately from 16-20 then stayed sober for a year and a half. However started drinking again at 22 and have been more of a binge drinker consuming on average of 20-50 drinks a week over t...  Read Full »

Does excessive sweating occur due to alcohol withdrawal?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 36-year-old male. I was a daily drinker of hard alcohol for the past four years. I am in depression and anxiety. I consulted a doctor. The doctor gave me Zoloft and Propranolol. Before few days, I have removed a large ganglion cyst from my right wrist. I made a step to stop the ha...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»