Q. After sexual contact, can a person have burning sensation while urinating?

Dr. Vivekanandan G
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 30, 2019

I have burning sensation while urinating and a frequent urge to urinate. Can it be due to sexual contact? I am a 22 year old male.

Dr. Vivekanandan G

Andrology Urology
#

These symptoms are classical of urinary tract infection, cystitis, prostatitis or urethritis.

Yes, they can be acquired by sexual contact.

Please get a urine culture and sensitivity done along with ultrasound abdomen, because stones in lower ureter can cause these symptoms.

You can start on a good antibiotic like Levofloxacin 500 mg once daily in the morning till you get culture report.

Revert back after the tests to a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

| 

The burn occurs right above the testicles. Is this common? Is there a chance to get STD?

Dr. Vivekanandan G

Andrology Urology
#

• Usually, burning sensation is felt in urethra, but it can also occur in other areas.
  • If there is a history of recent sexual contact then there is a possibility of sexually transmitted disease (STD).

For further doubts consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

| 

Please suggest medicines for parameters out of range in the blood test.

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 36 years old. In one of her routine blood tests, we found a few anomalies. The report is attached. Please let me know your thoughts on the parameters that are out of range in the report and suggest medicines.  Read Full »

Is it risky to have sexual intercourse with type 1 herpes patient?

Query: Hi doctor, I just recently started dating a man that informed me he has type 1 herpes. I want to know the risk factors and protective measures I can take if I choose to start a sexual relationship with him.  Read Full »

I believe I have chlamydia prostatitis. Please suggest a treatment.

Query: Hello doctor, I believe I have chlamydia prostatitis. Six months ago, I started showing signs of prostatitis. I had a hard time urinating fully, I had pain and burning, fever, clear discharge. I was put on eight weeks Cipro. My body did not respond well to the Cipro. I stopped and had a chance to s...  Read Full »