Q. After sexual contact, can a person have burning sensation while urinating?

Dr. Vivekanandan G
Published on Mar 30, 2016

I have burning sensation while urinating and a frequent urge to urinate. Can it be due to sexual contact? I am a 22 year old male.

Dr. Vivekanandan G

Andrology Urology
#

These symptoms are classical of urinary tract infection, cystitis, prostatitis or urethritis.

Yes, they can be acquired by sexual contact.

Please get a urine culture and sensitivity done along with ultrasound abdomen, because stones in lower ureter can cause these symptoms.

You can start on a good antibiotic like Levofloxacin 500 mg once daily in the morning till you get culture report.

Revert back after the tests to a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

The burn occurs right above the testicles. Is this common? Is there a chance to get STD?

Dr. Vivekanandan G

Andrology Urology
#

• Usually, burning sensation is felt in urethra, but it can also occur in other areas.
  • If there is a history of recent sexual contact¬†then there is a possibility of sexually transmitted disease (STD).

For further doubts consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Please suggest medicines for parameters out of range in the blood test.

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 36 years old. In one of her routine blood tests, we found a few anomalies. The report is attached. Please let me know your thoughts on the parameters that are out of range in the report and suggest medicines.  Read Full >>

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have checked the attached photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Firstly, urine analysis shows pus cells which points to urinary tract infection. Please let me know if she has any painful urination or frequency. Secondly, the CBC (complete blood...  Read Full

Is it risky to have sexual intercourse with type 1 herpes patient?

Query: Hi doctor, I just recently started dating a man that informed me he has type 1 herpes. I want to know the risk factors and protective measures I can take if I choose to start a sexual relationship with him.  Read Full >>

Dr. Bharat Udey
Geriatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Type 1 herpes is a sexually transmitted virus. It spreads with contact with an infected person. It can lead to oro-genital infective lesions. To prevent it, avoid any kind of sexual contact with the infected person especially when the person is having active lesions....  Read Full

I believe I have chlamydia prostatitis. Please suggest a treatment.

Query: Hello doctor, I believe I have chlamydia prostatitis. Six months ago, I started showing signs of prostatitis. I had a hard time urinating fully, I had pain and burning, fever, clear discharge. I was put on eight weeks Cipro. My body did not respond well to the Cipro. I stopped and had a chance to s...  Read Full >>

Dr. Karthik Rajan
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I need to know a few more details to answer your query better: Did you have any fever with your symptoms? Where is your pain mostly, near your anal region or along the urethra? What side effects did you have on taking Ciprofloxacin? If your symptoms are similar ...  Read Full