Q. My LFT is raised for a year with recent AST, ALP, and GGT showing 200. Please help.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 20, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 16, 2020

I am 23 years old. It has been more than a year my liver function test result remains high. I have been tested for hepatitis A, B, C, E, and autoimmune hepatitis, but the result all came out negative. My doctor told to take blood test regularly. But, it has been almost a year now, the result still remains high. The lowest result so far I get is AST 90. But my latest liver function test result shows my AST, ALP, and GGT all 200+. May I get any advice on this?

I did not take any medication, consume any alcohol, but the result still came out high. I am so worried about that. Please help.

#

I can imagine that you must be very concerned about your persistent elevation of the liver enzymes. As you already have viral etiologies excluded this is time to look for other things which could lead to persistent elevation of the liver enzymes. Notably the Wilson, alpha, antitrypsin deficiency, hemochromatosis, autoimmune hepatitis type II. I want you to upload all your previous investigations, ultrasound reports if done, and any other testing that you have been performed in the past two years.

I also suggest you to get following blood tests which would help us excluding the above possibilities. It is possible that you have some testing already and I do not want that you should repeat it but do upload the reports as I can see those. Secondly, despite you had a viral screening that showed nothing abnormal but there are certain other tests like Hb core total which can tell occult or latent infection and cause of your raised enzyme levels.

Since the investigation may cause you significant cost it is possible alternative that you can discuss with me in detail, as we can shrink some of those testings by closely inquiring about those causes in history before getting tested. I am sure we would reach a conclusive diagnosis by relevant information you provide and after investigations.

Wilson. Hemochromatosis. Autoimmune hepatitis type II. Alpha antitrypsin deficiency. Chronic viral hepatitis.

Complete blood count. Liver function test (fresh) and all previous as I can see the trend
Hb core total.
HbsAb, HbsAg. Serum ceruloplasmin. Serum copper, ferritin, and transferrin saturation. Anti LKM 1 antibody. Serum alpha antitrypsin level.

Autoimmune or other metabolic diseases.

Follow up after investigations and all previous reports or earlier if want to discuss before getting tested.

|