Hemochromatosis

Please suggest ways to reduce high iron levels.

Query: Hi doctor, My mother has been transfused with at least 11 to 12 units of blood during a period of two months. This was done on a false diagnosis of iron deficiency anemia. It was a false diagnosis because transferrin receptor was never used to come to this diagnosis. She has had elevated CRP for a ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows Normally in hemochromatosis (iron deposition disease), serum transferrin, iron and ferritin levels will be usually high. All the symptoms and signs point towards hemochromatosis, possibly due to iron overloading secondary to m...  Read Full »

What should I do to lower my ferritin levels?

Query: Hello doctor, My ferritin levels are very high. It is 571. I am always feeling tired. Can you prescribe some medicines?  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Pulmonologist, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have recently done serum ferritin and your level is 571.30ng which is very high. Your cholesterol and triglyceride levels are also high. Common causes of high ferritin levels are obesity, fatty liver, infl...  Read Full »

Will increased iron saturation cause damage of internal organs?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 20 years old. Today I got lab results that show my iron saturation is 73% and my iron serum is 278 ug/dl. I am 6 feet tall and have lost weight down to 127 pounds. I have joint pain, headaches, digestive issues, low appetite, and depression. My mom got me an appointment with a h...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your serum iron level is high. So we have to rule out iron over storage means hemochromatosis like picture. For that, serum ferritin and transferrin saturation have to be done. Your serum ferritin level is normal, So iron storage seems less likely. However, investigate...  Read Full »

What is the cause of persistent increase in liver enzymes?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 23 years old. It has been more than a year my liver function test result remains high. I have been tested for hepatitis A, B, C, E, and autoimmune hepatitis, but the result all came out negative. My doctor told to take blood test regularly. But, it has been almost a year now, the res...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can imagine that you must be very concerned about your persistent elevation of the liver enzymes. As you already have viral etiologies excluded this is time to look for other things which could lead to persistent elevation of the liver enzymes. Notably the Wilson, ...  Read Full »

Kindly help me interpret my liver USG report.

Query: Hello doctor, Four months before, I was diagnosed with fatty liver, slightly elevated fasting sugar and the level of total cholesterol. My current medications are tablet Viboliv 500 daily two times in a restricted diet and Nexpro RD. I had consumed spicy foods rarely. In the last four months, I l...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The fatty liver disease is also known as NASH (nonalcoholic steatohepatitis), which may progress to NAFLD that is nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. The real issue here is to know if you are developing fibrosis or cirrhosis from it. And that is whether you are compens...  Read Full »

Is there any association between polycythemia and hemochromatosis?

Query: Hello doctor, Is there an association between polycythemia and hemochromatosis? I have a high Hb of 18 and hematocrit of 51 %. I am a student and found to have incidental polycythemia. I tested for all myeloproliferative neoplasm and bone marrow biopsy is negative for MPN. However, I was tested to ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Usually, in hemochromatosis, storage iron is increased, that is serum ferritin. So you can investigate with serum ferritin as well. If you have myeloproliferative neoplasm like polycythemia, then usually it can be clear from bone marrow study and JAK2 mutation. It co...  Read Full »

How to reduce my serum ferritin level?

Query: Hi doctor, My ferritin level is 1500, and I want to bring it down to 150. How much will one DFO IV session or each Exjade pill reduce the ferritin level on an average? I am a healthy individual, and I do not have HIV, HCC, or any other disease.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your serum ferritin is high, so the cause should be found out first. It can be hemochromatosis, in which excess iron is stored in the bone marrow. Deferoxamine is used for increased iron storage in thalassemia patient. For high ferritin, phlebotomy is also another mode o...  Read Full »

What can be done for elevated ferritin levels in a 50-year-old?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 50-year-old female who has had an elevated ferritin level for many years now. My last ferritin level was 342, 20 days back. My ferritin level has been as high as 390. My TIBC, UIBC, iron, and iron saturation have always been within normal range. My glucose has always ranged from ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Elevated ferritin could be from congenital hemochromatosis but HFE gene mutation is negative, so it is excluded (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Secondly, a hemolytic condition also can be a possibility but serum LDH (lactic acid dehydrogenase), reti...  Read Full »

Am I a carrier or patient of hereditary hemochromatosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have received a blood test back that I am confused about. I have previously been diagnosed with hereditary hemochromatosis but a new physician recently did the genetic test and indicated that I only had one of the genes present and thus was a carrier and not a patient.The blood test...  Read Full »

Dr. Smrita Singh

Pathologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your blood test results (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your blood picture shows that the iron which is absorbed is not being utilized properly. Your transferrin saturation levels 56 % is high but not more than 62 %, which is in...  Read Full »

Should anything be done to pull out the excess iron level in blood?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 61 year old male. For many years, I was treated for hemochromatosis. Then, about 12 years ago, I had a genetic test. The results prompted the hematologist to abruptly stop the recurring phlebotomies. I do not recall the test result and apparently, it cannot be located. But, I r...  Read Full »

Dr. Santosh Badaku Desai

General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Your iron saturation and serum ferritin is high and these are suggestive of iron overload or hereditary hemochromatosis (HH). You talked about a test that was done and then the hematologist stopped the phlebotomy. I think, probably he must have ...  Read Full »