Q. Can abnormal edges of liver in ultrasound mean cancer?

Dr. A V Hussain Shihaz

I am a 45-year-old male, non-smoker and social drinker. I am a generally healthy with no underlying medical conditions, or family history of severe illness. The only thing I have been diagnosed with is idiopathic hematuria which was told to me around two years ago. I have no other symptoms, appetite is fine and no major weight loss. However the last few weeks I was having twinges around different areas of the stomach and aching kidneys. I decided to have an ultrasound yesterday, all organs were fine however something starting with H was seen in the liver. The person undertaking the ultrasound says these are normal but mine has a fuzzy edge and to make sure all is okay she has sent me for a cat scan with contrast. Her opinion was it looks fine but best to check. I have health anxiety so my alarm bells are ringing with liver cancer. I understand the chances of me having this are low but would like an opinion from an expert.

Dr. A V Hussain Shihaz

Medical Gastroenterology
#

I have gone through your concern. From what you have mentioned the doctor has probably identified a hemangioma which is a common finding and benign, the confirmation and characterization of a hemangioma of liver is best done with a CT scan, the chances of it being a liver cancer is extremely low in view of your health status. I would advise you to go ahead with the CT scan so that we can confirm and also assuage your concerns.

| 

Thank you. Can these grow and cause symptoms?

Dr. A V Hussain Shihaz

Medical Gastroenterology
#

They are usually very slow growing ,if growing at all. They would cause symptoms only if large in size, usually any hemangioma of less than 5 cm and without any symptoms are left alone and not medically intervened.

| 

What does negative PCR and positive antigen tests for hepatitis C mean?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to know your opinion. I have had two positive hepatitis C antigen tests and the doctor had a polymerase chain reaction test that was negative for hepatitis C. He said I was one of the lucky ones. He said he could repeat and I did and again negative. All blood was concerning liv...  Read Full »

Are the HIV tests done by me right?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 32 year old male. My weight is 95 kg and height is 174 cm. I had protected vaginal and oral sex with CSW. Then, I did the following HIV Screening tests and all of that came back negative. ELISA on 26th day - non reactive, ELISA on 40th day - non reactive, HIV 1 and 2 ...  Read Full »

How to treat blockage of urine due to enlarged prostate?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is 67 years old. He is having mild psychiatric problem for the past 17 days. In the middle, around five days back the creatinine level increased from 1.1 to 5.6. So, an ultrasound was done and that showed blockage of urine due to enlarged prostate. But, urination was not comp...  Read Full »