Q. Can I give Eldopar to my daughter?

Dr. Deepak Patel
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 07, 2019

My daughter has been experiencing some stomach ache since two hours. She went to the toilet and had loose stool, not exactly watery but loose. She is also complaining of vomiting feeling. Can I give her Eldopar? Is any antibiotic required for stomach infection? I have given her 5 mL of Ondansetron.

#

I can understand your concern.

• Stomach ache, nausea and loose stools could be due to acute gastroenteritis, food poisoning or stomach upset. Child will need antibiotics, because this appears to be an infection.
  • Eldopar contains Loperamide drug, which is used to stop loose stool in adults. In children it is contraindicated. So, you should not give this drug to your child.
  • In my opinion, you should give her,
  1. Tablet Oflox-oz (combination of Ofloxacin and Ornidazole) two times a day for three days.
  2. Tablet Buscopan (Butylscopalamine) 10 mg three times a day for two days.
  3. Tablet Lanzol junior (Lansoprazole) two times a day for three days in empty stomach.
  4. Ondem Syrup 5 mL (Ondansetron) can be given if vomiting occurs.
  • Give more liquid diet to child. Avoid any food items from outside for few days. Review after two days.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|