Q. Can I give Eldopar to my daughter?

Dr. Deepak Patel

My daughter has been experiencing some stomach ache since two hours. She went to the toilet and had loose stool, not exactly watery but loose. She is also complaining of vomiting feeling. Can I give her Eldopar? Is any antibiotic required for stomach infection? I have given her 5 mL of Ondansetron.

Do you have a question on Loose Stool or Stomach Pain?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Deepak Patel

MD PEDIATRICS (UCMS & GTBH), DELHI ., MBBS (MAMC), DELHI, MEMBER OF INDIAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS, MEMBER OF
Child Health Paediatrics

I can understand your concern.

• Stomach ache, nausea and loose stools could be due to acute gastroenteritis, food poisoning or stomach upset. Child will need antibiotics, because this appears to be an infection.
  • Eldopar contains Loperamide drug, which is used to stop loose stool in adults. In children it is contraindicated. So, you should not give this drug to your child.
  • In my opinion, you should give her,
  1. Tablet Oflox-oz (combination of Ofloxacin and Ornidazole) two times a day for three days.
  2. Tablet Buscopan (Butylscopalamine) 10 mg three times a day for two days.
  3. Tablet Lanzol junior (Lansoprazole) two times a day for three days in empty stomach.
  4. Ondem Syrup 5 mL (Ondansetron) can be given if vomiting occurs.
  • Give more liquid diet to child. Avoid any food items from outside for few days. Review after two days.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

I have stomach pain when I pass stools. Please suggest a medicine.
Query: Hello doctor,I have been suffering from a disease of the stomach for six months now. I feel a pain in my stomach when I pass stools. My stool is like mud or liquid, but not like water. I have consulted many doctors but I do not have relief yet. Please tell me what I should do. I am very worried.  Read Full »
Dr. Noushif M
Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your problems are not too worrisome. It can happen normally as well. I suggest you take the following medicines: Albendazole tablet 400 mg (for worms). Lactobacillus granules (Vizylac or Darolac) daily once for a week. Increase the intake of leafy vegetables, peas, bea...  Read Full »

Is it safe to use Oflox OZ in an infant for severe loose stools?
Query: Hello doctor, My kid is 11 months old and he had more than 20 loose motions in one day today. He has never had this kind of a severe problem. In his bad days, he might have had 10 motions but they were not as loose and watery as today. He is currently on Taxim O, Sporlac, and En...  Read Full »
Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The probable cause is acute diarrhea. Use of Oflox OZ (Ofloxacin and Ornidazole) is safe. But, this is not required in the care of diarrhea unless it is complicated. The treatment plan is: ORS (oral rehydration salts) 100 mL per loose stool. Zinc sy...  Read Full »

I have stomach pain and darker stool. What could be the reason?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old male, and have stomach pain for around a week (mostly after eating). The pain starts in epigastric regions, and then to lower abdomen. I started noticing changing stool color to more darker stool. There is no diarrhea or vomiting, no fever. I am taking Omeprazole fo...  Read Full »
Dr. Krutika Ingle Karandikar
Diabetologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Darker color stools are not a good sign. Kindly do a stool examination and visit your family physician for a thorough check-up, so that he can determine the exact cause for your discomfort. There are many reasons like peptic ulcer, a bacterial infection of the stoma...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now