Q. I am having back pain due to physical exertion and trauma. How to deal with it?

Answered by
Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Oct 13, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 17, 2019

Hello doctor,

I was practicing sports last sunday and did a flip. I kind of landed short, and the impact from my feet hurt my back. It was difficult to walk, and my back was paining, I could barely walk, and could not bend forward at all. I went to the ER, and all they did was an X-ray on my lumbar. It was clear and said it was a back strain, but I feel as if it is something more. The reason I say this is because when I first landed, it felt like something was not in place. I confirmed it when I was driving two days ago, and my Motrin 800 wore off and I could barely put weight in my seat. Pain radiated down to my leg and my butt on one side, and my tailbone felt displaced. I have been taking Motrin 800 which helps for the constant ache, but not with mobility.

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Back pain following physical exertion or trauma may be due to injury to tendons, ligaments, muscles, disc, bones or vertebre, and local nerves.Any undue stress or twisting movement leads to muscle or ligament sprain leading to low backache, which is excruciating and is associated with restriction of movement.

Here are a few signs that indicate significant cause that needs to be ruled out:

Any bladder or bowel problems as difficulty in passing or sensing urine.

Pain radiating to lower limbs.

Tingling and numbness in the feet.

Weakness in the lower limbs, difficulty in climbing stairs, or raising limbs due to weakness and not due to pain. If you have the above-mentioned symptoms consult a neurosurgeon, get the MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) spine done for further management.

I suggest wearing a back belt or a brace to support your back. Try heat therapy by placing hot bags over the area.

I suggest taking skeletal muscle relaxants like tablet Flex P (Aceclofenac and Paracetamol) 15 mg once daily for relief for not more than one week to ten days. The best treatment for low back pain is bed rest.

Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

Is Surgery The Only Option For Knee Buckling?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 36 year old male. I have been having knee buckling problem for some time. The problem started in the right knee about four years back and since then I have stopped sports. However, at times during some movement or jerk, I get this buckling problem and pain for two to three day...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sumit Chawla
Orthopaedician And Traumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history and the reports attached here (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is a cruciate ligament injury along with meniscal injury and you also have symptoms related to it. So, surgery is indicated in your case. It will not set...  Read Full

I am suffering from low back pain.Is it a big problem or should I not worry?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from pain in the backbone. The affected area is a very small portion at the end of the backbone. Pain occurs when I press that portion with fingertip, but the pain is so light that I can endure it without any problem. I am a 32 year old male, unmarried, and I am sufferin...  Read Full >>

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
Orthopaedician And Traumatologist

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com. There are many causes for low back pain. It can be due to faulty posture, related to weak muscles, issues with intervertebral disc, narrowing of spinal canal, any bony instability besides many other. So, accurate diagnosis is the key to proper management of the conditio...  Read Full

Can I do pull ups again in my life after acromioclavicular joint separation?

Query: Hello doctor, I just had my acromioclavicular joint separation (grade 2 or 3), AC ligament torn. I am ready to accept the recovery time. My question is can I do pull ups again in my life? Or any permanent disability may occur?  Read Full >>

Dr. Jay Indravadan Patel

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sure the X-ray looks kind of AC joint separation due to the ligament injury. With the image, the injury looks between grade II or III. I will advise you to take the call for the MRI shoulder to focus on the AC joint. This will help us understand the extent of the lig...  Read Full



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.