Q. I am having back pain due to physical exertion and trauma. How to deal with it?

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 13, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 17, 2019

I was practicing sports last sunday and did a flip. I kind of landed short, and the impact from my feet hurt my back. It was difficult to walk, and my back was paining, I could barely walk, and could not bend forward at all. I went to the ER, and all they did was an X-ray on my lumbar. It was clear and said it was a back strain, but I feel as if it is something more. The reason I say this is because when I first landed, it felt like something was not in place. I confirmed it when I was driving two days ago, and my Motrin 800 wore off and I could barely put weight in my seat. Pain radiated down to my leg and my butt on one side, and my tailbone felt displaced. I have been taking Motrin 800 which helps for the constant ache, but not with mobility.

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

#

Back pain following physical exertion or trauma may be due to injury to tendons, ligaments, muscles, disc, bones or vertebre, and local nerves.Any undue stress or twisting movement leads to muscle or ligament sprain leading to low backache, which is excruciating and is associated with restriction of movement.

Here are a few signs that indicate significant cause that needs to be ruled out:

Any bladder or bowel problems as difficulty in passing or sensing urine.

Pain radiating to lower limbs.

Tingling and numbness in the feet.

Weakness in the lower limbs, difficulty in climbing stairs, or raising limbs due to weakness and not due to pain. If you have the above-mentioned symptoms consult a neurosurgeon, get the MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) spine done for further management.

I suggest wearing a back belt or a brace to support your back. Try heat therapy by placing hot bags over the area.

I suggest taking skeletal muscle relaxants like tablet Flex P (Aceclofenac and Paracetamol) 15 mg once daily for relief for not more than one week to ten days. The best treatment for low back pain is bed rest.

|