Q. Is surgery the only option for knee buckling?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2019

I am a 36 year old male. I have been having knee buckling problem for some time. The problem started in the right knee about four years back and since then I have stopped sports. However, at times during some movement or jerk, I get this buckling problem and pain for two to three days. About two weeks back, I had a similar problem in my left knee as well while trying to jump and take a photograph. It is paining since last two weeks. I have attached the MRI and CT scan reports. Do I have to go for a surgery? Or can it be cured with exercise and physiotherapy? My weight is 97 kg and height is 5'9".

#

I have gone through your history and the reports attached here (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• There is a cruciate ligament injury along with meniscal injury and you also have symptoms related to it. So, surgery is indicated in your case.
  • It will not settle without surgery. 

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Is it advisable to do a surgery for both the knee? I am also type 2 diabetic since last five years. Will surgery cause any issue in the future? What will be the recovery time for me after surgery and when I can go back to the office?

#

• It usually takes six to eight weeks after single knee surgery to ambulate without support. So, I guess you can go to the office after a month of surgery.
  • Infection and delayed healing are always a risk for a diabetic person.
  • Surgery is to solve your problem. There are always chances of failure of surgery or other systemic problems in some cases. Since you have diabetes, the chances of complications are slightly higher. 

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|