Q. I have severe low back pain with fatigue and leg pain. Are the symptoms related to arthritis?

Dr. Peter Grutas

I have been dealing with severe lower back pain, hip pain, butt and leg pain, fatigue, insomnia, hot and sweaty, pain in wrist and fingers, foot pain (left foot my toes are curved down and one is curved to the left). I do not know if this has anything to do with arthritis but there are occasional lesions in my nose and occasional neck pain. I am currently taking Cymbalta. I have had Arnold Chiari malformation and underwent decompression surgery.

Dr. Peter Grutas

#

I am sorry you are having these symptoms. Have you had any laboratory workups done before? How about imaging studies?

There are many causes of your current symptoms and this makes it more complicated since you have Arnold-Chiari malformation. This includes autoimmune condition, degenerative condition and metabolic conditions. I would recommend that you do further testing to understand your condition. I would recommend that you check your CBC (complete blood count), RF (rheumatoid factor), SGPT (serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase) and SGOT (serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase), BUN (blood urea nitrogen), creatinine, ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), CRP (C-reactive protein), thyroid function test and FBS (fasting blood sugar) as initial tests.

In the meantime, I recommend that you undergo a physical therapy program to include ultrasound, TENS (transcutaneous electric nerve stimulation), William's flexion exercise, Myofascial release, joint conservation techniques, range of motion exercises within pain-free range, endurance exercise as tolerated. I would also recommend you take Naproxen three times a day for pain and Ibuprofen twice a day for breakthrough pain. Once you have the results of the tests, please do follow up.

Follow up with lab results.

| 

Please suggest a cure for my skin rashes based on the report.

Query: Hi doctor, I have rashes similar to the rash of SLE, swollen, painful and redness around the eyes, severe fatigue and muscle weakness. These symptoms occurred a few months back after I had an intestinal infection. The doctors suspected it to be dermatolysis too, thus having a skin biopsy done tomorr...  Read Full »

I am having diarrhea, severe headaches, and fatigue after contraceptive pill withdrawal. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, Since I came off the pill 14 months ago, I have had lots of issues: black, brown, smelly spotting, irregular periods, severe pain, severe fatigue, been to the emergency department many times with different issues (stomach bleeding, severe stomach pains, lightheadedness, back and neck ...  Read Full »

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Article Overview: Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disorder that causes chronic inflammation and pain in the joints throughout the body Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan
Rheumatologist

What Is Rheumatoid Arthritis? Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disorder that causes chronic inflammation and pain in the joints throughout the body. It is a long-term and disabling disease. This disease usually affects the joints of the hands and feet first, and if one side of the joint ...  Read Article

Ask a Rheumatologist Now