Low Birth Weight

Why does my baby fail to thrive though he is completely breastfed?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby was born at 37 weeks due to growth restriction. His weight was 5 lbs 3 oz. He was in NICU for seven days due to low blood sugar. He is 7 months old and weight 11 lbs 6 oz. He had reflux issues and lip and tongue tie. It was fixed at two months. The reflux was fine after 5 months o...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please note that the weight gain of your baby is fine. Normally birth weight doubles by the age of 6 months, which I think it has. As for 7-1/2 months of age, the weight is only a very little bit lesser probably because of reflux issues. Also, babies pass stools either 10...  Read Full »

How does pityriasis rosea affect pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a GP. I have seen my GP and he thinks I have Pityriasis rosea. I am 30 weeks pregnant and have had Pityriasis rosea as a child. My rash is currently scaly and in lines over my abdomen. My concern is about the adverse effects of this condition in pregnancy. It is hard to ascertain i...  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is one of the proposed theories that Pityriasis rosea could be an exanthema secondary to HHV 6 and 7 (human herpes virus) virus infection. Most of the data available regarding PR in pregnancy is about the first trimester of pregnancy wherein HHV 6 and7 infections are k...  Read Full »

Ultrasound scan showed dilated cerebral ventricle in 37 weeks fetus. How to proceed further?

Query: Hi doctor, I have done four ultrasound scan of my 37 weeks baby showing the impression of the fetal left lateral cerebral ventricle is significantly dilated (approximately 27 mm) with the irregularity of the wall. Left choroid plexus is enlarged and filled with a hypoechoic central part. Corpus cal...  Read Full »

Dr. Devavrat Harihar Nene

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. All these suggest that there is a problem on the left side of the baby's brain. To ascertain the cause and extent of the problem, MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) brain is definitely required. Based on the MRI, further investigations can be planned. At this point, it is...  Read Full »