Q. I am an active individual with low BP and heart rate. Should I be worried?

Dr. Isaac Gana
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 01, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 14, 2021

For the past one month, I have been working out a lot such as running, body building and following a healthy diet. I have lost weight. My blood pressure is 95/59 mmHg. My resting heartbeat is around 55. My weight is 73 kg. I wanted to ask if it is fine to have this low heart rate and low blood pressure. I am feeling lightheaded, tired and shortness of breath sometimes. Should I be worried?

#

It is very normal for athletes to have a low heart rate. Sometimes some people are born with this condition where they have very low heart rate and blood pressure.

When did you first notice this development? Have you been on other drugs apart from the ones mentioned?

For now eat a lot of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fish, and low-fat or nonfat dairy foods.

Try to be physically active at most times of the day you are awake, this will keep your heart rate up.

Try to avoid smoking if you do. In case you continue to feel shortness of breath or experience fainting, please go to the hospital. You might require a pacemaker.

1. Congenital.
2. Drugs (calcium blockers and beta blockers).
3. Hypothyroidism.
4. Coronary artery disease.

ECG.

Revert with the details to a cardiologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Thank you for your quick reply. I have noticed these symptoms lately after the tough activities I have been doing the past one month. I did not have any medical problem before that. I have done an ECG, and it is normal. Even my blood test is all normal.

#

• I like you to reduce your physical activities. Do it moderately. For example, if you are lifting weights of 20, 30, 40 and 50 kg, then reduce it to 15, 25,35 and 45 kg.
  • When doing aerobics, run at a high pace for a minute or two up to 20 minutes for example.
  • Please check how this changes impact on your heart rate. If no change, then reduce your workout further.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|