Q. I am suffering from low blood pressure after C-section. How to deal with that?

Dr. Rishu
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 09, 2019

I had a C-section a week ago and got out of surgery with low blood pressure and kept it low for a few days. Now, after getting out of the hospital, I still feel the same pressure on my chest. Also, I feel a horrible pounding headache. It is so hard and I feel the heartbeats vividly. I am scared. Please advise. My pulse rate is between 48 and 50. I am on Cephalexin 500.

Dr. Rishu

Cardiology
#

As said by you, a cesarean section has been done for you a week ago and during the operation, your BP was on the lower side. I would like to tell you that amount and volume of blood in a mother increases significantly during pregnancy to support the nutritional need of the fetus inside her womb. As during the period of 9 months the body of the mother gets accustomed to these latest changes. During C-section and delivery of the baby a significant amount of blood is lost. The body after 9 months of high volume of the blood again within a few hours is left with the normal volume of blood as some blood is lost during surgery.

So, the body will again synthesis blood and will get adapted to the new situation. And, to make all parameters normal it will take about 2 to 3 week's time. You were taken out of the operation theater in low BP state. This means that the condition (low pressure and pulse) is related somewhere to the delivery events only. Try to drink as much fluid as you can. Please get your hemoglobin level checked so that in case it has dropped significantly it can be treated. As of now pressure in the chest, low pulse, headache and palpitations (feeling your heartbeat) all points more towards anemia.

As of now, I would advise you complete bed rest for two weeks. Keep a regular record of your blood pressure and pulse. Take as much fluid as possible and eat a nourishing diet. Get a hemogram, TLC (total leukocyte count) and an ECG done. In case anemia is seen, then we can start iron therapy. Do not worry too much unless you feel dizzy or unconscious like feeling. These symptoms will go away as the body settles down to the new changes.

Loss of blood during C-section.

ECG to check if the heartbeat is normal and hemogram.

Revert back with the report to a cardiologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|