Q. I am suffering from low blood pressure after C-section. How to deal with that?

Dr. Rishu
Published on Dec 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 09, 2019

I had a C-section a week ago and got out of surgery with low blood pressure and kept it low for a few days. Now, after getting out of the hospital, I still feel the same pressure on my chest. Also, I feel a horrible pounding headache. It is so hard and I feel the heartbeats vividly. I am scared. Please advise. My pulse rate is between 48 and 50. I am on Cephalexin 500.

Dr. Rishu

Cardiology
#

As said by you, a cesarean section has been done for you a week ago and during the operation, your BP was on the lower side. I would like to tell you that amount and volume of blood in a mother increases significantly during pregnancy to support the nutritional need of the fetus inside her womb. As during the period of 9 months the body of the mother gets accustomed to these latest changes. During C-section and delivery of the baby a significant amount of blood is lost. The body after 9 months of high volume of the blood again within a few hours is left with the normal volume of blood as some blood is lost during surgery.

So, the body will again synthesis blood and will get adapted to the new situation. And, to make all parameters normal it will take about 2 to 3 week's time. You were taken out of the operation theater in low BP state. This means that the condition (low pressure and pulse) is related somewhere to the delivery events only. Try to drink as much fluid as you can. Please get your hemoglobin level checked so that in case it has dropped significantly it can be treated. As of now pressure in the chest, low pulse, headache and palpitations (feeling your heartbeat) all points more towards anemia.

As of now, I would advise you complete bed rest for two weeks. Keep a regular record of your blood pressure and pulse. Take as much fluid as possible and eat a nourishing diet. Get a hemogram, TLC (total leukocyte count) and an ECG done. In case anemia is seen, then we can start iron therapy. Do not worry too much unless you feel dizzy or unconscious like feeling. These symptoms will go away as the body settles down to the new changes.

Loss of blood during C-section.

ECG to check if the heartbeat is normal and hemogram.

Revert back with the report to a cardiologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Hemoglobin, RBC, and WBC are going down rapidly. What can be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband's hemoglobin is 3.7 g/dL, but the hemoglobin level was 5 g/dL when we checked it two days back. His RBC and WBC are also going down. What can be the reason?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your husband's hemoglobin and WBC count are going down very fast, it is not normal. For such low hemoglobin levels, blood transfusion is needed immediately. A peripheral smear examination should be done, to look for schistocytes like fragmented RBC and normoblast count...  Read Full

ECG shows RBBB and marked left ventricular hypertrophy. What does it mean?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 12 years old, very active, plays representative basketball and attends a sports high school. Last Sunday, he was knocked over while playing and hurt his arm. After getting up, he fainted. He was fine after that. There were no broken bones, but the medical center did an ECG, and...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The ECG (electrocardiogram) is showing incomplete RBBB (right bundle branch block) or early RBBB and features of left ventricular hypertrophy, and also heart rate is on lower side nearing 60 beats per minute. But as you mentioned, he is a basketball player. So, athle...  Read Full

My ECG is normal and heart rate is high. Please advise.

Query: Hi doctor, I recently observed that my heart rate (including the resting one) is high. Resting rate is between 75 to 85 beats per minute and an average brisk walking rate is around 115 to 120 beats per minute. When I was unaware, I lived a perfectly normal life with 15 to 16 active hours. However, ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding your heart rate, it is fine to have a resting heart rate of 75 to 84 beats per minute. It does not signify any major abnormalities. Exercise, stress, anxiety, smoking, caffeine can certainly lead to pulse rate elevation. So, as you mentioned, your ECG (elec...  Read Full