Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I am suffering from low blood pressure after C-section. How to deal with that?

Answered by
Dr. Rishu
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 09, 2019

Hi doctor,

I had a C-section a week ago and got out of surgery with low blood pressure and kept it low for a few days. Now, after getting out of the hospital, I still feel the same pressure on my chest. Also, I feel a horrible pounding headache. It is so hard and I feel the heartbeats vividly. I am scared. Please advise. My pulse rate is between 48 and 50. I am on Cephalexin 500.

Dr. Rishu



Welcome to

As said by you, a cesarean section has been done for you a week ago and during the operation, your BP was on the lower side. I would like to tell you that amount and volume of blood in a mother increases significantly during pregnancy to support the nutritional need of the fetus inside her womb. As during the period of 9 months the body of the mother gets accustomed to these latest changes. During C-section and delivery of the baby a significant amount of blood is lost. The body after 9 months of high volume of the blood again within a few hours is left with the normal volume of blood as some blood is lost during surgery.

So, the body will again synthesis blood and will get adapted to the new situation. And, to make all parameters normal it will take about 2 to 3 week's time. You were taken out of the operation theater in low BP state. This means that the condition (low pressure and pulse) is related somewhere to the delivery events only. Try to drink as much fluid as you can. Please get your hemoglobin level checked so that in case it has dropped significantly it can be treated. As of now pressure in the chest, low pulse, headache and palpitations (feeling your heartbeat) all points more towards anemia.

As of now, I would advise you complete bed rest for two weeks. Keep a regular record of your blood pressure and pulse. Take as much fluid as possible and eat a nourishing diet. Get a hemogram, TLC (total leukocyte count) and an ECG done. In case anemia is seen, then we can start iron therapy. Do not worry too much unless you feel dizzy or unconscious like feeling. These symptoms will go away as the body settles down to the new changes.

The Probable causes:

Loss of blood during C-section.

Differential diagnosis:

ECG to check if the heartbeat is normal and hemogram.

Regarding follow up:

Revert back with the report to a cardiologist online.--->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Will drinking water after C-section cause any problem?
I got fever after c-section. Why?
High Hemoglobin Levels: Is It Dangerous?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Hemoglobin, RBC, and WBC are going down rapidly. What can be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband's hemoglobin is 3.7 g/dL, but the hemoglobin level was 5 g/dL when we checked it two days back. His RBC and WBC are also going down. What can be the reason?  Read Full »

ECG shows RBBB and marked left ventricular hypertrophy. What does it mean?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 12 years old, very active, plays representative basketball and attends a sports high school. Last Sunday, he was knocked over while playing and hurt his arm. After getting up, he fainted. He was fine after that. There were no broken bones, but the medical center did an ECG, and...  Read Full »

My ECG is normal and heart rate is high. Please advise.

Query: Hi doctor, I recently observed that my heart rate (including the resting one) is high. Resting rate is between 75 to 85 beats per minute and an average brisk walking rate is around 115 to 120 beats per minute. When I was unaware, I lived a perfectly normal life with 15 to 16 active hours. However, ...  Read Full »

Also Read

I have fever, severe headache, and cough. Please help me.
I have fever since five days. My fever comes down when I take medicine but eventually comes back. I also have severe hea...  Read more»
Brucellosis - Symptoms, Complications, Diagnosis, and Treatment
Brucellosis, a zoonosis, is caused by consuming unpasteurized milk or raw meat obtained from infected animals. For sympt...  Read more»
I am not able to pull my foreskin completely and have redness around my foreskin. Please help.
Hello doctor, I am 19 years old. My query is that I have read that a guy must pull back his foreskin by the age of 17. B...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Cardiologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.