Q. My father is suffering from low ejection fraction rate of 25%. Is there any way of recovery?

My father is 56 years old and is suffering from a low ejection fraction rate of 25%. Is there any way of recovery?

#

This depends on the cause. If the cause is ischemic, meaning it has occurred due to blockages and the heart muscle is already dead, then it is unlikely to improve or improve slightly. And if the heart muscle is not dead, then opening the blocked vessel will help in improving heart function. Now, the way to know whether the heart muscle is dead or not is viability assessment with PET (positron emission tomography) scan.

If the cause is non-ischemic with blockages like DCMP (dilated cardiomyopathy), then there is a chance for improvement with medication. So basically, there may be some improvement with medicines, but whether marked improvement would occur or not will depend on the viability of heart muscle, which can be known on further testing with PET scan.

|