Q. My father is suffering from low ejection fraction rate of 25%. Is there any way of recovery?

Published on Nov 11, 2019

My father is 56 years old and is suffering from a low ejection fraction rate of 25%. Is there any way of recovery?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

This depends on the cause. If the cause is ischemic, meaning it has occurred due to blockages and the heart muscle is already dead, then it is unlikely to improve or improve slightly. And if the heart muscle is not dead, then opening the blocked vessel will help in improving heart function. Now, the way to know whether the heart muscle is dead or not is viability assessment with PET (positron emission tomography) scan.

If the cause is non-ischemic with blockages like DCMP (dilated cardiomyopathy), then there is a chance for improvement with medication. So basically, there may be some improvement with medicines, but whether marked improvement would occur or not will depend on the viability of heart muscle, which can be known on further testing with PET scan.

Why is one of my legs swollen to twice the size of other?

Query: Hi doctor,My left leg is swollen to twice the size of my right leg. I am 65 years old and weigh 72 kg. I am currently on painkillers as it hurts like hell. Could you please advise?  Read Full »

Can you explain my maid's heart condition in simple terms?

Query: Hi doctor, My maid has a heart problem since her birth. She complains of pain in heart, a sudden increase in heartbeat, feels hot and leg pain. Now, she feels very weak. Her echo was done recently and I have attached that here.  Read Full »