Q. Please read my ECG and tell me the abnormalities.

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
Published on Aug 31, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 04, 2018

Can you read my ECG and tell me why it says abnormal?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I have thoroughly reviewed your query and can well understand your concerns.

In such an EKG where not much abnormality is apparent, physical examination and clinical correlation become more valuable. It may be normal or near normal EKG. At some points in some leads it shows little deviation from normal patterns but at the same time, it does not fit into typical abnormalities. In simple words, your physician should have gone for a physical examination in order to establish a clinical evaluation of the heart. Based on that evaluation, we can say if there is anything wrong or not. Merely looking at this part of EKG (attachment removed to protect patient identity) nothing much can be said with surety. Also, the EKG machine can say it is abnormal EKG even with a slight artifact or error (even on a normal heart). That is why clinical correlation is mandatory here.

The slight deviation that you see, if this ever was anything, does it have more to do with something that would be considered a blockage or electrical?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

#

If it was an abnormal EKG pattern, the more or less it might be a blockage (RBBB- right bundle branch block) or (Brugada type 3) but again it is not a diagnosis here. Other parameters of blockage should also be sorted out in order to declare it a blockage (partial or complete). Your Physician can go for several aspects in this clinical evaluation including but not limited to signs and symptoms of disease (for example, pain in the chest), echocardiogram, angiogram (both if needed). Sometimes, EKG findings can overlap too in electrical myocardial events Vs blockage issues. Further workup reveals the right possibility.

What are the symptoms when you have blood clots in your body?

Query: Hello doctor,What are some of the symptoms when you have blood clots in your body?  Read Full »

Why is one of my legs swollen to twice the size of other?

Query: Hi doctor,My left leg is swollen to twice the size of my right leg. I am 65 years old and weigh 72 kg. I am currently on painkillers as it hurts like hell. Could you please advise?  Read Full »

My ECG is normal and heart rate is high. Please advise.

Query: Hi doctor, I recently observed that my heart rate (including the resting one) is high. Resting rate is between 75 to 85 beats per minute and an average brisk walking rate is around 115 to 120 beats per minute. When I was unaware, I lived a perfectly normal life with 15 to 16 active hours. However, ...  Read Full »