Q. Can I replace Fersolate with Orofer XT for low Hb levels?

Published on Sep 04, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 13, 2019

I was prescribed with tablet Fersolate, which is not available, for the low HB levels. I am attaching the reports. Can I replace it with Orofer XT? If yes, please tell the dosage.

Hematology Pathology
#

Yes, you can replace it with Orofer XT (Folic acid and Ferrous Ascorbate). It is a perfect drug for iron deficiency anemia as it contains Ferrous Ascorbate. Initially, you can take this tablet two times a day. Then after a few days, you can replace it with a once daily dose. Take this tablet after taking food. I suggest you take this drug with orange juice to increase its absorption. I would like to check your iron profile reports as well. Kindly upload it to guide you further.

Should I avoid folic acid during MTHFR pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 5 weeks pregnant and I have MTHFR and PAI mutations. My doctor recommended me to take Folic acid. I read it should be avoided during MTHFR pregnancies. Along with that I am on Prozac and Euthyrox. What do you think? What should I do? Please help.  Read Full »

Can you see the attached CBC report, and let me know if there is anything serious ?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife's iron and ferritin were low, so the doctor ordered CBC. CBC showed low WBC, high monocytes, and high RBC, which is what made us scared. She has schistocytes and elliptocytes among other RBC morphologies. We read about it and are very worried, and she had a C-section three years...  Read Full »

How to evaluate the reason for low hemoglobin?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 76 years old. She is diabetic and on medication for around 15 years. She is suffering from typhoid fever. Her hemoglobin level is low at 6. She is also very weak to walk on her own for the past few days. Kindly suggest some advice.  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now