Q. Can taking less Folic acid during pregnancy by Crohn's patient affect baby?

Dr. Donalyn S. Barcial
Published on Jan 22, 2019

I have Crohn's disease and am pregnant. The first day of my last period was before 40 days and I have been taking multivitamins which includes 400 micrograms of Folic acid for the past four months. I am now pregnant. The doctor said that I need 5 mg of Folic acid due to the Crohns which I have started from today. No one told me I need more Folic acid than average woman until today and I am now sick with worry. If I had been taking an insufficient amount of Folic acid and caused harm to the baby, then how or when will I know?

Dr. Donalyn S. Barcial

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have read your concern.

You need not worry or be anxious about it. Although absorption of Folate may be disturbed because of your Crohns, taking 400 mcg for four months will be good enough. Meaning, you are not deficient from it from the very start but since you are now pregnant, additional Folic acid is needed to be used by the baby.

I suggest you have your serum Folic acid test done so as to make sure that everything is not below normal. Because Chrons as you already may know effects the absorption of folic acid.

Please suggest treatment for Crohn's disease.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 33 years old. I have an early stage of Crohn's disease. Do you have treatment for Crohn's disease? Is it a curable disease?  Read Full >>

Dr. Ishwar Chandra Rai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Crohn's disease is a psychosomatic disorder. Its management depends on the condition. If it has no complications, then it can be managed naturally through ayurvedic medicines. You should share your detailed disease history and all relevant...  Read Full

Where to put your penis during sex?

Query: Hello doctor,I recently got married and have a few doubts about intercourse. I am not clear about the vaginal spot. Where should I insert my penis exactly? I had a chat with my partner and she said that it is the spot where the gynecologist tested her uterus when we had a general check-up. Please...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. The vaginal opening is located at the junction of the upper two thirds and the lower one third between the two soft skins and there you need to insert the penis while having intercourse. Position matters but it is not ab...  Read Full

Counseling for Newlyweds

Article Overview: Do not wait until you have a problem to seek marriage counseling. Counseling can help newlyweds with their communication skills, sexual relationship, and much more. Read Article

Dr. Purushottam Sah
Psychologist Counsellor

Most people enter the marriage life with unrealistic expectations of a dream life influenced by some popular songs and movies. But soon their dreams are shattered and their married life gets ruined before it takes off. Ideally, couples should seek premarital counseling before getting married. Howeve...  Read Article