Q. I am a diabetic and hypertensive with less hemoglobin. Please help.

This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 05, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 10, 2019

I have less hemoglobin. I am a diabetic and hypertensive.

Hematology Pathology
#

I have read your attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Following are the important abnormal findings seen:

1. Your hemoglobin level is low. RBC count, PCV, serum iron is also low. Hence, it is suggestive of iron deficiency anemia most probably. You can continue to take prescribed Iron tablet. If oral medicine is not helpful in increasing hemoglobin level then Iron injection can be prescribed.

2. Your vitamin D level is low. So take Cholecalciferol sachet 60000 IU once a week for eight weeks. The tablet also can be taken.

3. You are known case of diabetes and blood pressure. The blood sugar level is still little high. So need to control with life-style measures as well like exercise and low fat and low sugar diet. The kidney might be affected due to diabetes so your estimated GFR is low. I suggest you repeat EGFR after a few days.

4. B12 is water-soluble vitamin and B12 is raised due to supplements intake. Do not worry about that.

| 

How to evaluate the reason for low hemoglobin?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 76 years old. She is diabetic and on medication for around 15 years. She is suffering from typhoid fever. Her hemoglobin level is low at 6. She is also very weak to walk on her own for the past few days. Kindly suggest some advice.  Read Full »

Hypertension and Skipping Anti-Hypertensive Pills - A Small Step Towards a Big Mistake

Article Overview: This article tells about the misconceptions prevalent among people against having anti-hypertensive pills.  Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Blood Pressure and Symptoms - A Gist : Blood pressure is basically the pressure faced by the walls of the blood vessels when the blood is ejected from the heart with a level of force. Under normal circumstances this force is essential for the blood to circulate well in the body. Raised blood pressur...  Read Article

Can raw rice addiction result in low hemoglobin?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from low hemoglobin levels. I have attached my laboratory test report. I have a habit of eating raw rice, which I am suspecting as the reason for this low count. Kindly have a look and prescribe medicines to increase my hemoglobin levels. I am currently taking Orofer XT one...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now