Q. What can be the reason for low Hb in a 65 year old?

Dr. Deepak Patel
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 04, 2020

My mother is 65 years old. She got tested for hemoglobin and fasting blood sugar. The results are 5.20 g/dL and 123 mg/dL respectively. The hemoglobin level is alarming. Three years ago, she had same hemoglobin level. She was admitted for a week and two units of blood were transfused. What to do now? Please guide.

#

I can understand your concerns.

• Hemoglobin level is very low for her age and I think that you should get your mother admitted in hospital for blood transfusion.
  • We have to look for the cause for decrease hemoglobin.
  • At this age bleeding is mostly due to ovarian cyst, fibroid and uterine cancer.
  • You need to immediately admit your mother and investigations like ultrasound abdomen and pelvis should be done.

Follow up with further information to a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

CBC report of my mother is attached. Please suggest the next course of action recommended. Thank you.

#

• I have seen the attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) of CBC (complete blood count).
  • For further physical evaluation, gynecologist examination has to be carried out to rule out bleeding.
  • Ultrasound abdomen is a must.

Revert back with the investigation report to a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|