Q. What can be the reason for low Hb in a 65 year old?

Dr. Deepak Patel
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 04, 2020

My mother is 65 years old. She got tested for hemoglobin and fasting blood sugar. The results are 5.20 g/dL and 123 mg/dL respectively. The hemoglobin level is alarming. Three years ago, she had same hemoglobin level. She was admitted for a week and two units of blood were transfused. What to do now? Please guide.

#

I can understand your concerns.

• Hemoglobin level is very low for her age and I think that you should get your mother admitted in hospital for blood transfusion.
  • We have to look for the cause for decrease hemoglobin.
  • At this age bleeding is mostly due to ovarian cyst, fibroid and uterine cancer.
  • You need to immediately admit your mother and investigations like ultrasound abdomen and pelvis should be done.

Follow up with further information to a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

CBC report of my mother is attached. Please suggest the next course of action recommended. Thank you.

#

• I have seen the attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) of CBC (complete blood count).
  • For further physical evaluation, gynecologist examination has to be carried out to rule out bleeding.
  • Ultrasound abdomen is a must.

Revert back with the investigation report to a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

| 

How quickly should surgery be done for uterine fibroid?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 46 and a mother of three children. I have been diagnosed with multiple fibroids a few in the anterior wall intramural and a few on the posterior wall and a bulky 134 x 74 x 87 mm uterus. The endometrium is displaced posteriorly. The symptom is mainly heavy menstrual bleeding that las...  Read Full »

From the attached reports, please tell me the reason for frequent urination.

Query: Hello doctor, From the past few days, I have frequent urination. I am attaching all the test reports that I have done so far. I also got an x-ray and CT scan of the chest, but as I am out, I cannot upload them now. I will upload them later if you need it.  Read Full »

Can uterine fibroid be cured without surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 49 year old female, and I have a uterine fibroid. I have heavy bleeding from two or three months. What to do? What medicines can I take? Is it curable without surgery? Please advise. I am taking Kanchanar Guggulu from ten days.  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»