Q. My hemoglobin level and RBC levels have become low. What could be the reason?

Dr. Arpit Varshney

My hemoglobin count and RBC levels were normal until about a year or two, but now my hemoglobin level is around 10 g/dL, and blood reports show that I have iron deficiency anemia. I am taking tablet Amlong 5 mg and tablet Ecosprin 75 mg and do not have any previous history of the same issue. What would be the reason? Would you recommend any particular tests to diagnose any deeper problem?

Please help.

#

I have gone through your reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). There are two issues that I would like to discuss in detail.

1) Your diagnosis is correct; it is iron deficiency anemia. The best way to treat it is through oral iron supplements.

I suggest you take,

1)Tablet Livogen-XT (Ferrous Ascorbate, Folic Acid, and Zinc Sulphate) or,

2)Tablet Orofer-XT (Ferrous Ascorbate and Folic Acid) or,

3)Tablet Astyfer-XT (Ferrous Ascorbate with Aminoacids, Zinc, and Vitamins).

You can take any one of these as they cause minimal side effects. One tablet once a day for three months.

You do not require injectable iron or blood transfusion, as your reports are only mildly deranged.

You should also consume iron-rich foods, such as green vegetables, jaggery, pistachios, cashews, etc.

You should get your CBC (complete blood count) and iron profile tested after three months to decide if you need to continue or stop the medication.

2) Your HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) is more than 6.5%. Though your blood sugars levels are normal, HbA1c is more than average. HbA1c is a better marker of diabetes; I suggest you avoid taking anti-diabetes medications instead, control your sugar intake, and increase your physical activity. Our target HbA1c is less than 6.5%.

Take care. Revert with the reports after three months.

Thank you for the reply.

I am concerned about other reasons for the low RBC and hemoglobin count, like cancer. Please help.

#

I understand your concern. Yes, cancer can cause anemia and a low RBC count. However, other symptoms usually accompany in case of cancer, such as weight loss, loss of appetite, excessive fatigue, etc., depending upon the site of the cancer. Also, there would have been abnormalities in other reports as well. If you want to be sure of the cause of your iron deficiency anemia, the best way is to get a bone marrow aspiration and biopsy test. However, I do not suggest you get this test at this early step.

Kindly revert for further queries.

|