Q. I am 18 years old. Is my testosterone level normal?

Dr. Shahil Khant
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 29, 2020

I have not grown to the expected height. I am 173 cm. My mother is 173 cm and father is 189 cm. I had a blood test to determine my HGH levels. The doctor asked me for a testosterone and GH test. The result came back a week later and it said that I had a low HGH level and a 21/42 level testosterone. Is this normal for an 18 year old male? I was devastated that my growth plates were closed, because I also had an x-ray of left hand. My doctor asked me whether I am sexually active. I answered him no. But, I got a doubt regarding erectile dysfunction. Am I suffering from erectile dysfunction? Should I be worried? Is my testosterone too low? How can I increase testosterone? I had torsion three years back and nothing back happened. But, this could be a factor. Another factor may be that I used to hold my mobile phone in my pocket all the time.

I am a sprint athlete and have defined leg muscles, but this could be due to my short stature. I have gone for another blood test for GH, just as a follow up and that time I was advised to fast for 14 hours. But, I did not fast during my first blood test. Please help me.

#

Please relax and do not worry.

• You have not mentioned the exact HGH level values (human growth hormone) and testosterone values with units. I suggest you upload your reports.
  • As you said, definitely you have low testosterone levels. But, do not worry. It is definitely not related to your cell phone position or your torsion history.
  • As you also have low HGH levels, I think your pituitary is producing less LH hormone (luteinizing hormone), which in turn stimulates testosterone secretion from your testes.
  • If you are physically well built and muscular, then that does not mean you should have normal testosterone.
  • I suggest you get the following tests done. Free and total testosterone and serum FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) and LH levels. Get both the tests at morning 8 AM.
  • You should also get an ultrasound examination of your scrotum to look for the status of your testes.
  • If your testosterone levels are really low, then you need to take just testosterone injection once in a month for three months.

1. Free and total testosterone.
2. Serum FSH and LH levels.
3. Ultrasound examination of your scrotum to look for the status of your testes.

Revert back with the reports to an andrologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/andrologist

|