Q. Why did the doctors ask for my signature during LP procedure?

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

My question regarding the LP test of the backbone. Why the doctors want my signature for this test? Is there any major risk or side effect in this procedure? The test showed 5 x 5 rings in the brain and rest everything is normal. There is no previous medical history other than a headache, fever, and vomiting.

#

• Lumbar puncture is done to collect CSF (cerebrospinal fluid, the fluid surrounding the whole brain). Possibly they will send that fluid for tests to search the reason for rings in the brain.
  • Ring enhancing lesions in the brain can be due to many reasons like tuberculosis, neurocysticercosis, fungus, tumor, etc. The treatment will depend on the reason whichever they find on tests.
  • Lumbar puncture is a invasive procedure. The procedure also have some risk of complications. For every procedure, consent from patient or attendant is mandatory. That is the reason for asking your signature, which means that you understand the complications and requirement of procedure and willing to get it done.

For further doubts consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|