Q. I have a lump in my sternum. What can it be?

Published on Apr 24, 2018

I have a lump on my sternum. It is not big and not painful, also not hard. I just did chest X-ray and I believe it does not show anything. What can it be? Also, my blood work is normal except high uric acid level.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

Your X-ray is fine (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and no lump is visible on the X-ray. The first possibility and common cause is a lipoma.

If possible, you may upload a picture of the lump. Also, let me know, whether it is just below the skin or attached to the sternum, in upper or lower part of the sternum, duration of lump.

So, from the description you gave, it is likely a lipoma which is a painless swelling, below the skin, slightly mobile and not attached to the bone. It is benign and usually needs no treatment. However, one may undergo minor surgery to remove it for cosmetic concerns.

It is not related to uric acid. For uric acid, have a healthy lifestyle, exercise and try to achieve weight loss. Also, limit non-vegetarian food if you are having in plenty. It needs treatment like Febuxostat if more than 10.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

I cannot make a picture because it is almost not visible. When I touch it, it feels like a piece of fat and it is not too bulging. So, I cannot understand if it is attached to the bone or not. Do I need some additional tests?

#

So, in all probabilities, it is a lipoma only. No need to worry about it.

Your BMI (body mass index) is also more. So, it also favors the possibility of lipoma or fat swelling.

Not urgent, however, once just get it examined by a local doctor so that she or he can confirm it. Examination is sufficient and no need for any test to confirm.

All the best.

Can fatty breast in male lead to breast cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having rough period. I am worried about my health and about breast cancer as I have fatty breast albeit, rare in men. Also, I had undergone ultrasound before seven months and everything was normal. Before a couple of days, some little red marks had appeared in my chest. When I pres...  Read Full >>

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First, let me assure you, that the red bump is completely benign not to worry as it is out of the mammary tissue. Now, let me enlighten you some facts about gynecomastia. It is the benign proliferation of the male glandular tissue in the breast. Every enlargement of th...  Read Full

Why do I have a lump under the chin?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old female, 5' 7", 130 lbs. Generally healthy. I have a small, but firm/rubbery lump under my chin near the front of my neck (sort of the curve where neck and chin meet). It is the size of a large pea. I have been ill with a cold this week and also have generally swolle...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, it is likely related to current infection, either a cold or tooth infection as it is a draining lymph node for both the sites. So, the site may appear unusual to you but it is possible to get enlarged at the site. Consistency may vary with infection, but it shou...  Read Full

Why is there a swollen lump present on my left side of the neck?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a small swollen lump on the left side of my neck. I do not feel sick. But I feel like I have a fever and headache. My teeth look fine, and I do not have sensitivity. Can I have an infection in my teeth?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through your question. I can understand your concern. Yes, as per your history, you may have a dental infection or an ear problem on the same side. You need to upload a picture of your teeth so that I can conclude it. There can also be a dangerous lesion asso...  Read Full