Q. I have a lump on the right anterior triangle of my neck for 9 weeks. Is it lymphoma?

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

I am a 21-year-old female. I have a lump in my neck for about nine weeks now. It is between my hyoid bone and sternocleidomastoid muscle on the right anterior triangle of my neck. It is palpable when I tilt my head back. It is probably as big as a penny but not as round as a penny. It is oval shaped and non-tender. when I first noticed it, it was the size of a kidney bean but then two weeks later it shrunk down to the size of a baked bean and has stayed this size for seven weeks now. It never went back to kidney bean size and it is been two months I noticed the lump. It will move left and right, but not up and down. It feels firm when I tilt my head back but soft when I have my head upright normally. When my head is tilted back and I put my fingers on it, I can feel a pulse. But when I put my fingers on the other side of the neck I can feel a pulse in the same spot, where there is no lump. Just curious as to what this could be? I do not feel any other lumps or bumps that are larger than a pea size, and I am not sick and I was not sick when I first spotted the lump either.

Does this sound like lymphoma to you, considering the location, and shape and what it is doing? From what I read, hodgkins lymphoma is common in my age group but rare overall. I do not have any other symptoms (fever, night sweats, weight loss, loss of appetite) other than just a random lump in the middle of my neck.

#

I understand your concern regarding this lump. I also understand that you have gone through the internet trying to get an approximate diagnosis for the same. As per your history and description, it appears that this lump is arising from superficial structures of the neck, as it is mobile. It could be muscle. The pulsation which you are feeling are probably due to carotid artery beneath it and is quite normal to feel its pulsation. At this time to relieve your anxiety, it will be best to get a radiological evaluation. In my opinion, MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) or CT (computed tomography) neck will be a good option. Also, I will suggest getting a thyroid function test. In case, getting an appointment for CT or MRI is difficult for some reason, then even an ultrasound neck can give you a clue regarding the origin. Meeting a surgeon will be helpful at this moment.

|