Q. Is follicular lymphoma treatable?

Dr. C. Elanchezhian

I had a physical test, and blood works done about six weeks ago. I told my doctor, I had a lump, or mass, under my right armpit. He checked it out, and then sent me for an ultrascan, and a needle biopsy. A week later the doctor, called and said it was follicular lymphoma which is a type of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and is treatable. I am going, to have a PET, and CT scan in two more days. The oncologist examined me and said there is no swelling, in the neck, and spleen. Please tell whether this kind of lymphoma is treatable because I am scared of death.

#

Do you have lymph nodes only in axilla? If it is only in the axilla, it is treatable. This is stage one. In this stage, either chemotherapy or radiation therapy will be given. Need not worry too much. Did they say what type of Hodgkin's B-cell or T-cell? If possible send the needle biopsy report. They will do all blood test like a blood smear test, and CBC (complete blood count).

Usually, a team of doctors like a medical oncologist, hematologist, a doctor who treats lymphoma with chemotherapy, immunotherapist, etc., handle this. Targeted therapy from this one of the treatment method they do. I gave full details reading this and so do not get panic.

They only told me, that it is follicular lymphoma. I am very uneasy because I do not know what stage it is in. I will have a PET, and CT scan in about a week. Stage one and two would say is treatable, and curable. Are stage three and four can also be treated? I do not know how long it has been there under my armpit area. I am trying not to worry, but I cannot. Kindly advice.

#

There are four main stages,

Stage 1 is one lymph node only.

Stage 2 is two or more nodes on the same side of the diaphragm.

Stage 3 is in lymph nodes, spleen or both and both side of the diaphragm.

Stage 4 is further lymph node involvement that includes bone, lung, and liver.

Now you know what stage yours is.

Stage 1 is curable and treatable. Treatment as I told you

1.Chemotherapy with medicines.

2.Radiotherapy with radiation.

3.Surgical removal of the tumor.

In treatment again so many medicines and procedures are there.I do not want you to confuse.

Stage 2 is treatable, but it is difficult to cure.

Stage 3 and 4 are treated but controlled for a long time.

I hope now you able to understand as I simplified the subject.

|