Q. My 3 year old baby has a lump in the neck. What to do?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 20, 2021

My 3 year old child has a lump on the right side of his neck. We had observed this a few months back and it has increased a little in size right now. At present, he is having fever since two days. The pediatrician has advised to control temperature through medicines for three days and then if required; then we can go for the blood test. But, our concern and worries have increased due to the lump.

#

• It is not a big issue most of the time. These lumps if less than 1 cm size is a normal part of the body. We see unusual lumps in the case of tuberculosis and it does not appear in your case.
  • If it is not increased much, only one in number and less than 1 cm with soft in consistency, then there is no a problem.
  • If it gets enlarged, then we can give antibiotics for five days and see the response. Immediate investigations are required if there is any contact of tuberculosis case.
  • Better to follow the current advice of your doctor. We can do baseline investigations in the form of CBC (complete blood count) with ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and the chest x-ray if required and further necessary investigations based on that.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|