Q. What is the meaning of non-necrotic lymph node?

Dr. Andrew Chellakumar Fenn
Published on Jun 02, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 27 year old male. I have a painless lump just under the skin in the groin area. I have done an ultrasound. The impression is given 15 x 5 mm non-necrotic lymph node. I am taking Amoxicillin antibiotic 625 mg. What is the meaning of non-necrotic lymph node? Is it cancerous?

Dr. Andrew Chellakumar Fenn

Radiation Oncology Radiotherapy
#

• Most probably non-cancerous. Non-necrotic means that there is no dead tissue inside the node.
  • Necrosis indicates either tuberculosis or cancer. If the node does not regress with antibiotics, it may need further evaluation.
  • Please see your doctor again after a week. Cancer or TB can present even without necrosis.
  • If it is cancer or TB, usually it will not respond to antibiotics, unless it is secondarily infected. Hence, you should keep on close follow up and see your doctor again after a week.

For further information consult a radiation oncologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiation-oncologist

Am I suffering from tuberculosis? Please clarify from my CT report.

Query: Hello doctor, My recent chest x-ray showed some suspicious infiltrates in the lung. I am currently under thyroid cancer treatment. I got two CT scans done for both neck and chest. I have attached both reports here. Please help me in clarifying few terms which I did not follow. I would like to know, ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.  I went through both your CT scan reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). According to your CT report, there is no defect in the lungs. It only shows collapse in certain parts. As you have mentioned you are currently under treatment for thyroid canc...  Read Full

Cancerous Conditions Related to the Eye

Article Overview: Cancer is a leading cause of mortality and morbidity in the developed world and is on the rise among all age groups and social strata. The eye is also not spared from cancerous afflictions and has a whole plethora of cancerous and precancerous conditions that require proper evaluation and care by ophthalmologists. This article looks at the main cancers of the eye and has been written to be a basic guide to the common man about what important symptoms s/he will need to be concerned about and those problems that would need an immediate consultation with an ophthalmologist. Read Article

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Cancer is a leading cause of mortality and morbidity in the developed world and is on the rise amongst all age groups and social strata. The eye is also not spared from cancerous afflictions and has a whole plethora of cancerous and precancerous conditions that require proper evaluation and care by ...  Read Article

Does lymph node growth in a cancer patient indicate failure of chemo?

Query: Hello doctor, My father was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma of the esophagus six months back, stage II to III with a few malignant lymph nodes. He underwent surgery which was a success. He is taking chemotherapy right now, which is supposed to eliminate the malignant lymph nodes, which have spread to...  Read Full >>

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar
Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. So, I have gone through your queries. I would like to know a few details which will help me in answering your questions. So before surgery what was his stage? What did baseline CT or PET (whichever was done) showed? Did he receive any chemotherapy prior to surgery? O...  Read Full

Ask a Radiation Oncologist Now