Q. I have a painful swelling under my jaw. Kindly advise.

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

A few months back I noticed that underside my jaw is swollen and painful, just one side (left). I did not have any symptoms. So, I thought its flu-related. But now it got worse, a bit painful, sore and can feel something inside like a lump that moves. I went to the doctor but they said looks like it is the salivary gland and it might be infected. So, just wait and come back if it did not get better or got worse. My doctor did not do any scan or X-rays.

#

It could be an inflamed submandibular, submental or jugulodigastric lymph node depending on the exact location. Since it is painful, it could be due to an infection of the oral cavity like the gums, tooth, tonsils, etc. Even an aphthous ulcer can lead to an inflamed lymph node under the jaw. Are there any such symptoms as I described? However, since it has been months, it is more likely to be sialadenitis or sialolithiasis meaning inflammation of the salivary gland or stone impacted in the salivary gland. An ultrasonography of the neck can be done to locate that. You should go back to the hospital and ask for an ultrasound. Are there any other symptoms like bad breath, excess or decreased saliva, dysphagia?

|