Q. How likely can a child get malignant hyperthermia from using general anesthesia during surgery?

Dr. Jadhav Yatish Anant

My baby will be undergoing a surgical procedure where general anesthesia is required. However, I am worried that he might get a malignant hyperthermia reaction. How likely is this to happen?

Please help.

#

I went through your query and understood your concern.

Malignant hyperthermia is a rare inherited skeletal muscle condition with an incidence during anesthesia ranging from 1 : 10,000 to 250,000. Anesthetic drugs like Succinylcholine (depolarizing muscle relaxant) and volatile anesthetics like Halothane may trigger it. The use of both these anesthetics is preferred to be avoided in children. Relatively safe anesthetics like nondepolarising muscle relaxants and volatile agents like Sevoflurane may be used to maintain anesthesia. Though, the choice remains with the anaesthesiologist at the time of surgery. I suggest you discuss your concerns with the specialist at the earliest.

I hope this has helped you.

Thanks and regards.

|