General Anesthesia

How necessary is neuromuscular block during surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I am going to have laparoscopic surgery to remove an ovarian dermoid cyst. I am afraid of being under general anesthesia in the presence of neuromuscular blocks. Is there a way to ensure that I am unconscious before administering the neuromuscular block? I have read a horrible story abo...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Normally, all anesthesia, you can see are just a prick of a needle. So, if you do not fear the prick of a needle then you need not worry. Once the needle is pricked and the medicine goes in your body, you will not realize any pain neither remember anything. You would be ...  Read Full »

How to prevent coma while getting general anesthesia?

Query: Hi doctor, I am concerned about my upcoming surgery. During past surgery, I woke up and then went into a mild coma after being given more anesthesia. How likely is this kind of complication? How can it be avoided?  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your anxiety as you have faced problem before, but you did not mention the type of surgery you underwent previously. Also what is your upcoming surgery? Some induction agents like Succinylcholine are to be avoided in some people in view of more chance ...  Read Full »

Kindly explain about anesthesia during labor.

Query: Hello doctor, I was wondering if an anesthesiologist would mind getting interviewed. I am writing a research paper and could not contact any anesthesiologist around me. Thank you for the help. Below are the questions I need an answer. 1. How many years have you been a part of this profession? 2...  Read Full »

Dr. Dineshkumar Murugesaboopathi

Anesthesiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am glad to answer your queries. Responses are by the question numbers: 1.I have been working as an anesthesiologist for the past 8 years. 2.I would administer anesthesia for around 15-20 caesarean sections per month. 3. In my practice RA is the choice of anesthesia...  Read Full »

Will Phenibut and Kratom cause any effect on Benzodiazepine during general anesthesia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am going to be under general anesthesia in coming days for surgery. I did let my pre-op nurse know and wrote down all current medicines and supplements but have a question about 2 supplements. As I am not going to take them the night before anyways but just wanted insight. The first...  Read Full »

Dr. Yatish Anant Jadhav

Anesthesiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are taking 2 drugs one of which is Psychoactive compound (Kratom) while other one is mind calming magnet (Phenibut). If you are taking those drugs since long time then you may have some tolerance to Opioids/Benzodiazepines/other sedative anesthetic medicines. So I w...  Read Full »

Is it true that Ashwagandha has bad interaction with anesthesia?

Query: Hi doctor, I am due to have a surgery cone biopsy for CIN 3. I am stopping all my supplements a week before, as requested by the hospital. However, I ordered an herbal medicine last week, Ashwagandha, to try for insomnia and nerves. It was dumb to try without consulting a doctor. I think I have on...  Read Full »

Dr. Sukhdev Garg

Anesthesiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding your query, it seems you have already searched a lot on the social networks. You are absolutely right that Ashwagandha should be stopped for 1 week prior to surgery. But, there are certain facts you need to know. First, you are not having a surgery and...  Read Full »

Will Ashwagandha interfere with anesthesia during lymph node removal surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I did not realize my surgery would be so soon. I have been taking Ashwagandha and an Omega 3 supplement. I am having an enlarged lymph node removed in my neck under general anesthesia as an outpatient procedure. Will it be safe to undergo this procedure under anesthesia in a few days?...  Read Full »

Dr. Abhishek Singh

Anesthesiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Removal of a lymph node is not an extensive surgery. So, no need to worry much. As far as anesthetic risk is concerned, you may face the following problems because of your high BMI (body mass index). Difficult bag-mask ventilation. Difficult airway and intubation. ...  Read Full »

I am about to undergo revision rhinoplasty. What is the difference between sedation and general anesthesia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having a revision rhinoplasty and it is going to be under sedation and local anestheia but I am very scared. I asked the doctor about it since I read that during sedation you are awake but he said under sedation, patients are asleep and they feel nothing. However I never tried it...  Read Full »

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. During general, anesthesia patients put in a deep sleep like state. Even respiration of the patient also under control of the machine. The patient cannot remember about surgery during the procedure. It may associate with little complications. Local anesthesia is bloc...  Read Full »

For fibula fracture in a nervous person, should I ask for twilight nerve block or general anesthesia?

Query: Hello doctor,I want to know what procedure is better for a nervous person? Twilight with nerve block or general anesthesia?  Read Full »

Dr. Balaramareddy

Anesthesiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fibula is lower leg bone for that usually they will give anesthesia called spinal anesthesia in which injection is given to your spine at your lower back, that is simple, and pain free surgery can be done and only your two legs will have anesthesia another full body ...  Read Full »

Is it safe to get an RCT for a 2.5-year-old kid's teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2.5 years old son has problem in four teeth (front, above) and doctors are suggesting for RCT (Root Canal Treatment). I have attached the pictures with this query (attachment removed to protect the identity). Here are my questions: Can RCT (Root Canal Treatment) be done for a 2.5...  Read Full »

Dr. Tooba Qazi

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Thanks for attaching the pictures. Now I can answer your query in detail: This clinical picture represents a case of 'Nursing Bottle Caries'. That means, kids who take milk feed while sleeping or have the habit of keeping feeder in mouth for long and then sleep without brushing develop this typ...  Read Full »

Do I have to stop taking MAO inhibitor before my L3, and L4 spinal surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 79 years old. I am having spinal surgery on L4 and L3 next month. I have been on 90 mg of Nardil,an MAOI, for the last 32 years. Is there any general anesthesia that can be used so that I do not have to come off this medication, or do I have to be off it two weeks before surgery?  Read Full »

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist, Naturopathy Specialist, Pharmacologist, Siddha Medicine Specialist, Toxicologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The anesthetic drugs and their dose are carefully chosen after considering patients age, general health, condition of vital organs, previous history of diseases, concomitant medications, and duration of surgical procedure, etc. Hence, before any elective surgery, the...  Read Full »