General Anesthesia

Is the removal of all wisdom teeth safe?

Query: Hi doctor, I have an infection in my lower left wisdom teeth. The doctor drained my operculum and suggested to get all four wisdom teeth removed. I am freaked out, because the lower ones are not completely erupted. I have attached my x-ray. Can you please tell me whether it is safe to do this proce...  Read Full »

Dr. Nivedita Dalmia

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Both lower wisdom teeth are impacted; they have to be removed, as and when required (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You can get the tooth removed of upper and lower on the same side causing pain. If you only remove lower once, then the upper teeth will n...  Read Full »

Is GA necessary for dental procedures on a 2.6-year-old?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 2.6 years old. His four front teeth look black now. The enamel did not form in the front teeth when it erupted. Also, the molars have very deep cavity as can be seen in the image and there are other small cavities too. His teeth were crooked and got decayed so fast. The pedodont...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is no need for such procedure at this age. The front four teeth will usually never cause any pain to the child, but it has to remain there to maintain the space till the permanent teeth come in its space. So, leave the front four teeth as it is. The molar teeth, whi...  Read Full »

It takes a long time for general anesthesia to work on me. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been told many times following surgery that it took a long time for me to get the effect of anesthesia. I even remember some anesthesiologists getting upset with me as it was taking so long and the attending nurses defending me. Last time during my surgery, I spoke with the anesthe...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have carefully reviewed your health query and want to add that there is a tendency of metabolizing the drugs differ in each individual. Also, you should understand that everyone has a different level of metabolism and processing of drugs by the body. What the body does...  Read Full »

Is there a way to prevent vomiting due to general anesthesia?

Query: Hello, I am a 50 year old female who would like to have a breast reduction. However, I am high risk for vomiting from the anesthesia. I have a phobia of vomiting. I am a non smoker. I've had general anesthesia once before and I vomited several times. I am so scared that I have rescefuled the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Yatish Anant Jadhav

Anesthesiologist

Answer: Hi, General anaesthesia has known post aesthesia effects of nausea ,retching, vomiting etc. Also these may be due to direct effect of surgery and pain. You seem to be very sensitive and anxious to it. But usually it is seen that with each subsequent episode of administration of general anaesthesia ...  Read Full »

How necessary is neuromuscular block during surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I am going to have laparoscopic surgery to remove an ovarian dermoid cyst. I am afraid of being under general anesthesia in the presence of neuromuscular blocks. Is there a way to ensure that I am unconscious before administering the neuromuscular block? I have read a horrible story abo...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Normally, all anesthesia, you can see are just a prick of a needle. So, if you do not fear the prick of a needle then you need not worry. Once the needle is pricked and the medicine goes in your body, you will not realize any pain neither remember anything. You would be ...  Read Full »

How to prevent coma while getting general anesthesia?

Query: Hi doctor, I am concerned about my upcoming surgery. During past surgery, I woke up and then went into a mild coma after being given more anesthesia. How likely is this kind of complication? How can it be avoided?  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your anxiety as you have faced problem before, but you did not mention the type of surgery you underwent previously. Also what is your upcoming surgery? Some induction agents like Succinylcholine are to be avoided in some people in view of more chance ...  Read Full »

Kindly explain about anesthesia during labor.

Query: Hello doctor, I was wondering if an anesthesiologist would mind getting interviewed. I am writing a research paper and could not contact any anesthesiologist around me. Thank you for the help. Below are the questions I need an answer. 1. How many years have you been a part of this profession? 2...  Read Full »

Dr. Dineshkumar Murugesaboopathi

Anesthesiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am glad to answer your queries. Responses are by the question numbers: 1.I have been working as an anesthesiologist for the past 8 years. 2.I would administer anesthesia for around 15-20 caesarean sections per month. 3. In my practice RA is the choice of anesthesia...  Read Full »

Will Phenibut and Kratom cause any effect on Benzodiazepine during general anesthesia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am going to be under general anesthesia in coming days for surgery. I did let my pre-op nurse know and wrote down all current medicines and supplements but have a question about 2 supplements. As I am not going to take them the night before anyways but just wanted insight. The first...  Read Full »

Dr. Yatish Anant Jadhav

Anesthesiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are taking 2 drugs one of which is Psychoactive compound (Kratom) while other one is mind calming magnet (Phenibut). If you are taking those drugs since long time then you may have some tolerance to Opioids/Benzodiazepines/other sedative anesthetic medicines. So I w...  Read Full »

Is it true that Ashwagandha has bad interaction with anesthesia?

Query: Hi doctor, I am due to have a surgery cone biopsy for CIN 3. I am stopping all my supplements a week before, as requested by the hospital. However, I ordered an herbal medicine last week, Ashwagandha, to try for insomnia and nerves. It was dumb to try without consulting a doctor. I think I have on...  Read Full »

Dr. Sukhdev Garg

Anesthesiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding your query, it seems you have already searched a lot on the social networks. You are absolutely right that Ashwagandha should be stopped for 1 week prior to surgery. But, there are certain facts you need to know. First, you are not having a surgery and...  Read Full »

Will Ashwagandha interfere with anesthesia during lymph node removal surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I did not realize my surgery would be so soon. I have been taking Ashwagandha and an Omega 3 supplement. I am having an enlarged lymph node removed in my neck under general anesthesia as an outpatient procedure. Will it be safe to undergo this procedure under anesthesia in a few days?...  Read Full »

Dr. Abhishek Singh

Anesthesiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Removal of a lymph node is not an extensive surgery. So, no need to worry much. As far as anesthetic risk is concerned, you may face the following problems because of your high BMI (body mass index). Difficult bag-mask ventilation. Difficult airway and intubation. ...  Read Full »