General Anesthesia

Is it true that Ashwagandha has bad interaction with anesthesia?

Query: Hi doctor, I am due to have a surgery cone biopsy for CIN 3. I am stopping all my supplements a week before, as requested by the hospital. However, I ordered an herbal medicine last week, Ashwagandha, to try for insomnia and nerves. It was dumb to try without consulting a doctor. I think I have on...  Read Full »

Dr. Sukhdev Garg

Anesthesiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding your query, it seems you have already searched a lot on the social networks. You are absolutely right that Ashwagandha should be stopped for 1 week prior to surgery. But, there are certain facts you need to know. First, you are not having a surgery and...  Read Full »

Will Ashwagandha interfere with anesthesia during lymph node removal surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I did not realize my surgery would be so soon. I have been taking Ashwagandha and an Omega 3 supplement. I am having an enlarged lymph node removed in my neck under general anesthesia as an outpatient procedure. Will it be safe to undergo this procedure under anesthesia in a few days?...  Read Full »

Dr. Abhishek Singh

Anesthesiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Removal of a lymph node is not an extensive surgery. So, no need to worry much. As far as anesthetic risk is concerned, you may face the following problems because of your high BMI (body mass index). Difficult bag-mask ventilation. Difficult airway and intubation. ...  Read Full »

I am about to undergo revision rhinoplasty. What is the difference between sedation and general anesthesia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having a revision rhinoplasty and it is going to be under sedation and local anestheia but I am very scared. I asked the doctor about it since I read that during sedation you are awake but he said under sedation, patients are asleep and they feel nothing. However I never tried it...  Read Full »

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. During general, anesthesia patients put in a deep sleep like state. Even respiration of the patient also under control of the machine. The patient cannot remember about surgery during the procedure. It may associate with little complications. Local anesthesia is bloc...  Read Full »

For fibula fracture in a nervous person, should I ask for twilight nerve block or general anesthesia?

Query: Hello doctor,I want to know what procedure is better for a nervous person? Twilight with nerve block or general anesthesia?  Read Full »

Dr. Balaramareddy

Anesthesiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fibula is lower leg bone for that usually they will give anesthesia called spinal anesthesia in which injection is given to your spine at your lower back, that is simple, and pain free surgery can be done and only your two legs will have anesthesia another full body ...  Read Full »

Is it safe to get an RCT for a 2.5-year-old kid's teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2.5 years old son has problem in four teeth (front, above) and doctors are suggesting for RCT (Root Canal Treatment). I have attached the pictures with this query (attachment removed to protect the identity). Here are my questions: Can RCT (Root Canal Treatment) be done for a 2.5...  Read Full »

Dr. Tooba Qazi

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Thanks for attaching the pictures. Now I can answer your query in detail: This clinical picture represents a case of 'Nursing Bottle Caries'. That means, kids who take milk feed while sleeping or have the habit of keeping feeder in mouth for long and then sleep without brushing develop this typ...  Read Full »

Do I have to stop taking MAO inhibitor before my L3, and L4 spinal surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 79 years old. I am having spinal surgery on L4 and L3 next month. I have been on 90 mg of Nardil,an MAOI, for the last 32 years. Is there any general anesthesia that can be used so that I do not have to come off this medication, or do I have to be off it two weeks before surgery?  Read Full »

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist, Naturopathy Specialist, Pharmacologist, Siddha Medicine Specialist, Toxicologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The anesthetic drugs and their dose are carefully chosen after considering patients age, general health, condition of vital organs, previous history of diseases, concomitant medications, and duration of surgical procedure, etc. Hence, before any elective surgery, the...  Read Full »

Is it advisable to do root canal treatment in a child under general anesthesia?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 3 years old and has serious tooth decay. The doctor has suggested root canal treatment and that procedure will be done under general anesthesia. The whole procedure will take three hours of time as number of tooth is eight. My question is that is it safe to go through three ho...  Read Full »

Dr. Gaurav Pandey

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As a parent, I can understand your nervousness. First thing it is inhalational anesthesia and most commonly used in pediatric procedure, it means there is no use of any kind of drug for anesthesia. Only a gas mask placed on face and a balanced ratio of N2O (laughing g...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to get circumcision done under general anesthesia?

Query: Hello doctor,My urologists have recommended circumcision to improve my symptoms and to be able to look inside the urethra, etc., and wants to perform the procedure under general anesthesia. Can this also be done under local or epidural instead, as I am having anxiety about the general method? Am I o...  Read Full »

Dr. Devendra

Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding the type of anesthesia for circumcision and cystoscopy, it can be done under local anesthesia or spinal or epidural anesthesia or general anesthesia. Local has the following benefits of no risk related to anesthesia. The drawback is some discomfort but usually...  Read Full »

Can surgery be done for recurrent parastomal hernia in an aged patient?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is 68 years old and has undergone ileal conduit surgery ten years back. Then parastomal hernia repair seven years back and again four years back. Now he has again developed a parastomal hernia. Now the surgeon is not ready to operate further. Please advice.  Read Full »

Dr. Medhun Kumar

General Practitioner, General Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your father's condition. There are two options now. Due to elderly age and recurrent problem and anesthesia risk, we can manage it conservatively trying to avoid complications. It will be a safe position. If you wish to take the risk, we can approach...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to put cast for green-stick fracture in a 6-month-old?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter fell from a 50 cm high bed on a carpeted floor. Three days later, her mother and I noticed that her right leg was not as active as the left one. Although she was not complaining from pain, it was very clear that she tried to avoid moving her right leg. She is 6.5 months ol...  Read Full »

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your daughter has greenstick fracture of the distal femur. The cast which your doctor is asking to apply is hip spica. First of all, ideally hip spica should be applied under anesthesia to facilitate reduction of bone fragments but in this case, since no reduction is re...  Read Full »