Q. What is the difference between sedation and general anesthesia?

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I am having a revision rhinoplasty and it is going to be under sedation and local anestheia but I am very scared. I asked the doctor about it since I read that during sedation you are awake but he said under sedation, patients are asleep and they feel nothing. However I never tried it and I am really scared, I want to know what i.v sedation is exactly and is the patient put to sleep if the patient is actually asleep then what is the difference between sedation and general anestheia?

Do you have a question on Sedation or General Anesthesia?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

MBBS ., MD

During general, anesthesia patients put in a deep sleep like state. Even respiration of the patient also under control of the machine. The patient cannot remember about surgery during the procedure. It may associate with little complications. Local anesthesia is blocking the area the part undergoing surgery. The patient may be awake. He may feel the movement of the body procedure. But if they use intravenous sedative or ketamine patient may go for a short sleep during the procedure. I think I answered your question if you have more questions feel free to ask.

Also Read Answers From: Sedation General Anesthesia

Why does it take a long time to get the effect of general anesthesia?
Query: Hi doctor, I have been told many times following surgery that it took a long time for me to get the effect of anesthesia. I even remember some anesthesiologists getting upset with me as it was taking so long and the attending nurses defending me. Last time during my surgery, I spoke with the anesthe...  Read Full »
Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have carefully reviewed your health query and want to add that there is a¬†tendency of metabolizing the drugs differ in each individual. Also, you should understand that everyone has a different level of metabolism and processing of drugs by the body. What the body does...  Read Full »

Will varicose veins cause any complications during endoscopy?
Query: Hello doctor, I have been recently diagnosed with varicose veins in my left leg. I also have multiple heart problems which are right bundle branch block, bicuspid aortic valve, high blood pressure, and patent foramen ovale. I also have Barrett's esophagus and this week, I am going in for an endosco...  Read Full »
Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. I can see that your leg has developed varicose veins (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This happens due to back flow of blood into the superficial venous system of the legs. We...  Read Full »

Can I get a spinal block for laparotomy instead of general anesthesia?
Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with a 13 cm complex cyst in left ovary and have a laparotomy (small 3 to 4 inches vertical incision under my belly button to get rid of ovarian cyst) coming up and I would feel so much better if I could just get a spinal block instead of general anesthesia. I ha...  Read Full »
Dr. Yatish Anant Jadhav
Anesthesiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Spinal anesthesia is good for surgeries below umbilicus eg., pelvic surgeries, and ovarian cyst as in your case. But the size of your cyst is large, more than 10 cm and it is a complex cyst (not simple) which would mean surgeon may have to see other intrabdominal struct...  Read Full »

Trending

Trending

Ask a Doctor Now