Q. What is the difference between sedation and general anesthesia?

Dr. Penchilaprasad Kandikattu

I am having a revision rhinoplasty and it is going to be under sedation and local anestheia but I am very scared. I asked the doctor about it since I read that during sedation you are awake but he said under sedation, patients are asleep and they feel nothing. However I never tried it and I am really scared, I want to know what i.v sedation is exactly and is the patient put to sleep if the patient is actually asleep then what is the difference between sedation and general anestheia?

#

During general, anesthesia patients put in a deep sleep like state. Even respiration of the patient also under control of the machine. The patient cannot remember about surgery during the procedure. It may associate with little complications. Local anesthesia is blocking the area the part undergoing surgery. The patient may be awake. He may feel the movement of the body procedure. But if they use intravenous sedative or ketamine patient may go for a short sleep during the procedure. I think I answered your question if you have more questions feel free to ask.

|