Q. What is the difference between sedation and general anesthesia?

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu
Published on Jul 20, 2019

I am having a revision rhinoplasty and it is going to be under sedation and local anestheia but I am very scared. I asked the doctor about it since I read that during sedation you are awake but he said under sedation, patients are asleep and they feel nothing. However I never tried it and I am really scared, I want to know what i.v sedation is exactly and is the patient put to sleep if the patient is actually asleep then what is the difference between sedation and general anestheia?

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

#

During general, anesthesia patients put in a deep sleep like state. Even respiration of the patient also under control of the machine. The patient cannot remember about surgery during the procedure. It may associate with little complications. Local anesthesia is blocking the area the part undergoing surgery. The patient may be awake. He may feel the movement of the body procedure. But if they use intravenous sedative or ketamine patient may go for a short sleep during the procedure. I think I answered your question if you have more questions feel free to ask.

| 

Why does it take a long time to get the effect of general anesthesia?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been told many times following surgery that it took a long time for me to get the effect of anesthesia. I even remember some anesthesiologists getting upset with me as it was taking so long and the attending nurses defending me. Last time during my surgery, I spoke with the anesthe...  Read Full »

Will varicose veins cause any complications during endoscopy?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been recently diagnosed with varicose veins in my left leg. I also have multiple heart problems which are right bundle branch block, bicuspid aortic valve, high blood pressure, and patent foramen ovale. I also have Barrett's esophagus and this week, I am going in for an endosco...  Read Full »

Can I get a spinal block for laparotomy instead of general anesthesia?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with a 13 cm complex cyst in left ovary and have a laparotomy (small 3 to 4 inches vertical incision under my belly button to get rid of ovarian cyst) coming up and I would feel so much better if I could just get a spinal block instead of general anesthesia. I ha...  Read Full »