Q. My CT scan shows mega cisterna. Is there anything to worry about?

Dr. Devender Pal Singh
Published on Feb 09, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 20, 2019

I have done a CT scan of the brain recently and found everything was normal but with mega cisterna. The report shows scalp hematoma but that was from childhood and operated. I am worried about mega cisterna. Please suggest.

#

I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Your CT scan is normal. Mega cisterna magna is a normal variant. So do not worry about that.

Scalp hematoma is a collection of blood outside your skull (bone) and is, therefore nothing to worry about. It cannot be due to very old injury as it usually gets absorbed or calcified. It may have resulted from a minor trauma that you may have forgotten.

For more information consult a neuro surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neuro-surgeon

| 

But, this left scalp swelling was there from birth and it was operated because it was bigger in size when I was six years old.

#

Then it must be a calcified scalp hematoma. It is harmless and does not require any treatment.

| 

I am a mariner in merchant navy. Can I join the ship this week without further worry? Please suggest.

Can smoking cessation cause strained bowel movements?

Query: Hello doctor, My age is 39 years. I have quit smoking, cold turkey after smoking for almost 18 years. It is my 29th day of being smoke-free. Everything was going fine until last 7 to 10 days my bowel movement has been strainful. Few days I have seen very small sized hard stools and sometimes small ...  Read Full »

My son gets some blood clot like black spot while playing. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, My 14 year old son gets some blood clot and black spot while playing. It used to stay for a few days, but this time it has been there for the past two weeks. He also has some pain on the spots. His BT 1 minutes, CT 4 minutes 15 seconds and albumin protein is 5 g per 100 mL. My son used Pi...  Read Full »

What are the disadvantages of drinking honey with hot water?

Query: Hello doctor, Every morning I used to take hot water with honey and lemon. Can it have any side effects if I keep taking it for so long? Does it help to reduce body weight?  Read Full »

Ask a Neuro Surgeon Now