Q. Please have a look on CT scan taken for two strokes and advise.

Dr. Ajay Panwar
Published on Dec 07, 2018

A 76-year-old female's CT scan showed the following.

Clinical information: CT scan of the head, volume scan of the whole brain obtained without IV contrast administration.

Findings: Large CSF density hypodense lesion is seen in the right cerebellar hemisphere. Left cerebellar hemisphere, brainstem, and fourth ventricle are normal. Large irregular hypodense lesion is seen in right fronto-temporoparietal lobe effacing the adjacent sulci and right lateral ventricle. An irregular hypodense lesion is seen in the left occipital lobe. Left lateral ventricle and third ventricle are normal. CSF cisterns are normal. No extra-axial fluid collection is seen. No midline shift noted. Densely calcified plaques seen in the cavernous segment of the bilateral internal carotid artery.

Impression: Sub-acute infarct in the left occipital lobe, a subacute infarct in the right fronto-temporoparietal lobe, a chronic infarct in right cerebellar hemisphere, densely calcified plaques in cavernous segment of the bilateral internal carotid artery.

She has had two strokes so far and is in a critical condition. I wanted to reach out to see if you can provide a second opinion or if it is possible to get some of her senses back so that we can say our goodbyes properly to her.

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Internal Medicine Neurology
#

The CT report which you have uploaded suggests large brain infarcts (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would appreciate if you can upload the CT film also to have a better view of the same. Besides, in such large infarcts, many patients may not recover and some may recover partially. It depends on the clinical condition and consciousness state of the patient. Please upload the medical case summary as prepared by the treating doctors if that is possible for you.

Stroke.

We really appreciate the quick response.

I have attached a photo of the film taken from my phone camera. Please excuse my stupidity if it is not the way this works. Also, attached a photo of the Mela supplement they are feeding her through her nose. Myself being a keto follower, I am not a fan of the high carbohydrates and sugar on this meal. Do you have any suggestions on the type of nutrition that is best for her? Unfortunately, I could not grab a copy of the patient summary prepared by the doctors.

And thanks in advance. This is a great website and tool.

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Internal Medicine Neurology
#

I have seen the CT images and infarcts are of large size. As I said, chances of improvement are not a rule of thumb in such cases. The patient may or may not improve. Concerning nutrition especially in this critical phase of illness, taking this food supplement which is a balanced nutritional product (including concentrated carbohydrates) seems fine.

If you were the treating doctor, what are the five things you would try to either improve the patient's condition or bring the patient back to consciousness for a short period.

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Internal Medicine Neurology
#

There is nothing like five things or n number of things. It is just that a neurologist has to keep the patient on universal protocol stroke treatment. The patient's airway, breathing, circulation, and nutrition has to be taken care of. Complications like bedsore, pneumonia and deep venous thrombosis are to be avoided. Doing all the good, some patients will eventually recover and some may not.

Is CT scan safe during pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29 year old female, and I was hospitalized for a week due to UTI. As a part of it, a CT scan was taken, which showed that I am completely cured. Then the next day, a blood test showed two weeks pregnancy. I am worried that the CT scan would have an adverse effect on the baby. C...  Read Full »

MRI shows stroke and brain changes. Is it due to untreated sleep apnea?

Query: Hello doctor, The patient underwent extensive routine physical examination including MR/CT imaging and laboratory analysis earlier this month. The MR Brain shows evidence of lacunar stroke and ischemic brain changes. Please advise if these might be connected to untreated obstructive sleep apnea (mor...  Read Full »

Is stroke with bleeding serious or without bleeding?

Query: Hi doctor, I got a stroke but I do not know how to explain it. Twice I was bleeding along with the stroke. One type of bleeding was chronic and the other one was acute. I would like to know which type of bleeding is dangerous? And also explain the reason for the same.  Read Full »