Q. I have dark lines in finger and toenails since childhood. Is this a serious condition?

I have a dark line in my toenail for a long time, since I was a kid I realize that, but never came into my mind that could be dangerous. The same happened to my fingernail many years after I became an adult. I would like to know if it is something serious and should I care about it?

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

Welcome you to icliniq.com.

I have seen your query and examined your given picture. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It seems you have developed melanonychia. The cause of this are many such as inflammatory nail diseases like lichen planus, racial, nevus in nailbed and rarely melanoma. You need to go for nail biopsy for confirmation.

| 

Does this condition refers to both toenail and the fingernail? I kindly would like to know more about the possibility of this toenail be an inflammatory disease for so long time. I remember this line since I was a kid at least.

I probably have progressive macular hypomelanosis (I never go for biopsy) there is any possibility for this be linked? I have tested for fungal and the test result was negative.

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have seen your query. You can take tablet Biotin 10 mg once daily for three months. It can treat the nutrients aspects too. Biopsy will rule out other possible causes. And accordingly, treatment can be advised.

| 

Athlete’s Foot - Causes, Risk factors, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention

Article Overview: Athlete's foot, otherwise called tinea pedis, is a fungal infection seen between the toes in people whose toes become sweaty (athletes) and people who wear tight shoes. Read the article to know about its causes, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment. Read Article

Dr. Divya Banu M

One of the fungal infections affecting the foot is known as athlete’s foot, also called tinea pedis. It commonly happens in people having sweaty feet due to tight-fitting shoes. The prevalence is more than 10 million cases per year in India. It is contagious and seen to spread to the toenails ...  Read Article

I have got few lines appearing on my nail, which are dark vertical stripes. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a few concerns, got a few lines appearing on my nail, which is dark vertical stripes. Especially the one on my right thumb is in the middle, and it has been here for the last two weeks now.  Read Full »

I have severe constipation and bloating problem, with slight vaginal bleeding. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22 year old female, and I have been experiencing major constipation from the last month. Every time I eat, I experience bloating, and I am unable to go to the toilet later on. Have tried taking Sennetabs, Metamucil, increasing fiber, and water in the diet. I have this problem...  Read Full »