Discoloured Nail

Can nail melanoma result in grayish-blue discoloration of toenails?

Query: Hi doctor,I have four-month-old twin girl babies. After delivery, I got a blood clot under the left toenail. Another toenail shows a light shade of grey color. I do not have pain. But sometimes, I am not able to walk. I am afraid of this issue. All corners of my fingernail have become blue after tak...  Read Full »

Dr. B T Priya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to your description, you are suffering from onychomycosis. It is a fungal nail infection. You are using the right medication. Nail fungus takes time to get cured. Toenails grow slower than fingernails. It takes a time of seven to eight months to get cured....  Read Full »

I have severe constipation and bloating problem, with slight vaginal bleeding. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22 year old female, and I have been experiencing major constipation from the last month. Every time I eat, I experience bloating, and I am unable to go to the toilet later on. Have tried taking Sennetabs, Metamucil, increasing fiber, and water in the diet. I have this problem...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would need a little bit more history, How many times during a week do you have a bowel movement? Please go online and type Bristol stool chart, and let me know the consistency and type of the stools you are having in general from a month. Have you had diarrhea before...  Read Full »

What are the white circular band seen around the tip of my nail?

Query: Hi doctor, I have noticed something different on the tip of the nails. At the tip of all nails a band of half white color has formed and it is going around the circumference of the nail horizontally. They are not an exact horizontal line, but a circular band around the tip of the nail. I am also att...  Read Full »

Dr. Chaitra Prakash

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the details provided, it seems as onycholysis. It means your nail tip is loosened from your nail bed underneath. In your case it is very mild and probably due to cutting nails too short. There is nothing much to worry about at present. It is also unlikely to be relat...  Read Full »

Are dark lines in finger and toenails for a long period a concerning issue?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a dark line in my toenail for a long time, since I was a kid I realize that, but never came into my mind that could be dangerous. The same happened to my fingernail many years after I became an adult. I would like to know if it is something serious and should I care about it?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome you to icliniq.com. I have seen your query and examined your given picture. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It seems you have developed melanonychia. The cause of this are many such as inflammatory nail diseases like lichen planus, racial, nevus in nailbed and rare...  Read Full »

What causes black lines on skin and nails?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25 year old female. Two years back I had noticed a very thin black straight line on my nail in the right hand finger. This line is growing along as my nail grows. Though the line was thin initially, now it has increased in its width and thickness. When I searched in the net abo...  Read Full »

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. I have gone through the attached picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Presence of linear pigmented lines on the nails can be due to multiple causes. In white people they are considered abnormal and require thorou...  Read Full »

I injured my nail and it has turned dark. Will it heal on its own or fall off?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently (a few hours ago), had my finger hurt by a pan really hard. A part of my nail has turned black and the remaining part is a healthy pink. I have a throbbing pain. Will it heal on its own (growing the fingernail out) or will the nail turn dead and fall off?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If your fingernail is totally black, it will fall off automatically within one or two months. Since it is half black and is paining severely, it is advisable to visit a surgeon. A surgeon will assess the condition and will do the needful. The blackness is due to necros...  Read Full »

Why is there fungus on the nail beds of my fingers and toes?

Query: Hello doctor, Why do I have fungus on the nail beds of my hands and feet?  Read Full »

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Nail bed fungal infection could be due to either continuous exposure to water or immune deficiency. It is treated with a systemic antifungal for six months and keeping nails dry most of the time. Immune-deficient conditions should be excluded. Please send me a pho...  Read Full »