Q. I have a faint line on my finger. What is it?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2021

I have a faint line on my finger from past ten days. I am attaching a picture of the same. What is it?

#

I have read your concern and examined your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). 

• There is nothing to worry, it is a single nail melanonychia. Nothing actively needs to be done.

For further queries consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Will melanonychia become cancerous later? I have got a few more faint lines in the same finger. It had a sudden onset ten days back. Will I get more lines like this? I am worried. What is the cause of this?

#

• The causes of longitudinal melanonychia are many, it can be racial, inflammatory nail disorder like lichen planus, drugs like Zidovudine, Addison's disease, trauma, etc.
  • A single band may represent nail matrix nevus. But in your case, it may be traumatic or inflammatory nail disease, so nothing seems to be worrying.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Thank you doctor,

Can I get rid of this? Should I check it often for any changes?

#

• Yes, you should check for any sudden change in color, size, or any abnormal growth.
  • If it is due to any inflammatory or traumatic causes, it will resolve in few months.

|