Q. I have dark vertical stripes on my nails. What are they?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jul 26, 2019

I have a few concerns, got a few lines appearing on my nail, which is dark vertical stripes. Especially the one on my right thumb is in the middle, and it has been here for the last two weeks now.

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Plastic Surgery – Reconstructive And Cosmetic Venereology
#

Any symptoms or any other systemic complaints like diabetes or hypertension? And on any medication?

No other symptoms at all as you asked, and I am on C tax medication and antibiotic ATM.

#

You are suffering from Longitudinal melanonychia there are numerous causes of it but in your case, it might be to decrease VIT D, thyroid disorder and raised liver enzyme. So I would advise you to correct these through proper medication and this will subside automatically in a few weeks. I hope it helps. If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

I have severe constipation and bloating problem, with slight vaginal bleeding. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22 year old female, and I have been experiencing major constipation from the last month. Every time I eat, I experience bloating, and I am unable to go to the toilet later on. Have tried taking Sennetabs, Metamucil, increasing fiber, and water in the diet. I have this problem...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would need a little bit more history, How many times during a week do you have a bowel movement? Please go online and type Bristol stool chart, and let me know the consistency and type of the stools you are having in general from a month. Have you had diarrhea before...  Read Full

What is the brown vertical streak in my thumbnail?

Query: Hi doctor,I have noticed this very pale light brown vertical streak in my thumbnail about a week ago. I am very worried after reading online about something called longitudinal melanoma. I am 27 years old female.  Read Full >>

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your case. Well, longitudinal melanoma is one of the causes of brown streaks. Other causes include multivitamin deficiency including zinc. These are micronutrient and not stored in the body and need a continuous replacement. Other causes include norm...  Read Full

Ask a Cosmetologist Now